rose water for eye

chickenpets786

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2015
hello
my roosters eye is looking weird, only one of them and it is shut.When he opens it, it looks pink, with yellowish.will rose water with cotton wool work?
plzz help me

It sounds as though he could possibly have a respiratory infection, especially if he has some nasal drainage as it appears in the pictures. If no nasal drainage, he may have an eye infection. I would clean his eye with normal saline or use Vetericyn eye gel or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) is a common respiratory disease that can cause eye drainage, foamy eyes, nasal drainage, and sometimes sneezing, and swelling around the eye. Here is a good link to read about MG and other common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
i am sure he has a respiratory infection heard his breathing,what medicine do i give him and what is lofmc

i am sure he has a respiratory infection heard his breathing,what medicine do i give him and what is lofmc

If it is viral, it has to run it's course. You can help him by supplementing his water with vitamins/minerals. Garlic in warm mash can help too. Apple cider vinegar (raw, with mother, plastic water container) can help boost his gut acidity which can help boost immune system too.

Otherwise, you can always put some antibiotics in his water to treat bacterial infection, or secondary infection after viral. You can get those at the feed store.

Generally something like Tylan or Duramycin-10 are broad based enough to catch most stuff. Follow dosing instructions on the back.

Obviously keep him in isolation to protect the rest of your flock.

And LofMc...is my signoff.

LofMc (Lady of McCamley)

Last edited:
how can i tell if it is viral or bacteria and i have been giving garlic and apple cider vinegar diluted for 2-3 days and not much help, he is separated.Will vets give me something for him like a bacterial antibiotic because our locals are mainly for dog/cats/rabbits.he is knew brought him a week ago .can i give him some human infection antibiotics because heard some can work for them and are similar to theirs.
thank you 4 ur help!!

If it hasn't been helped after a couple of days with immune support treatment (ACV and garlic), then I would consider going to the feed store and get some antibiotics like Duramycin 10 or Tylosin. You can get those usually at the feed store.

You can't tell without a culture whether it is viral or bacterial other than if you treat it one way, it doesn't help.

LofMc

Last edited:
my local pet store do not have this, so will have to order something online for him.
Thanks for your help LofMc

Back
Top Bottom