Rosters or hens

Klay

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2015
I have an Easter egged and a buff Orpington both are 15 weeks old and I'm not position be they are both hens even though we ordered all female chicks.

I figured the buff was but not the EE only the buff has little bumps on his legs which I think r Spurs.

Spur buds don't indicate gender well at all. Your EE has a male comb, and the coloring is only found on males. You won't find a female EE with the same coloring.

Thank u for telling me this sad new. Lol what am I going to do with two roosters out of 7 chickens? Will they still fight even if they were raised together.

Both are cockerels. :( They may or may not fight eachother. I've raised cockerels together from hatch and had no problems, but I've also raised some that eventually did fight enough for me to separate them.

Last edited:
sorry and a rooster can handle 10 hens any less and they tend to get overbred - 2 roosters would be 20 hens. Or NO roosters and you can do what you want. Hens will lay just as many eggs without a rooster.

So would give hens be good enough for one rooster or do I just need to get rid of both roosters all together

Back
Top Bottom