Rotten Eggs

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
:eek: Why does it happen?? Only 2 eggs hatched from under my broody Silky. 1 chick died and the other one is a mutt (but a cutie!!) and after 5 days the rest of the eggs hadn't hatched. Well, I candled them and didn't see any movement, so I decided they weren't going to hatch. My DH took the eggs out to the compost pile and broke a few to try and see what happened. YUCK!!!! There was this nasty green gook in them and a mostly formed chick in all of them. So what went wrong? Just a 1st time broody? I also did have 2 Silkies sharing the same nest (before I took the eggs and one broody indoors) and maybe the girls were fighting over the eggs and they didn't get the constant warmth? Oh well. At least it wasn't a total loss. I did get one chick and IMO it's the cutest chick I have.
smile.png

I am so sorry about your babies.
Don't have any ideas of what could be happening.

On my first broody, she had 3 eggs and only hatched 1 chick. And he/she is a cutie. Right now I have one Black Australorp with 4 babies and still sitting on two eggs. The first one hatched on Saturday. And then I have the 3 bantams that were all sharing a nest with 5 standard eggs and they have hatched out 3 of the eggs. Then this morning I found another egg had hatched but the chick was dead, so I gave the last egg to my BA and it hatched out this afternoon. Now I am not sure what is happening with her other 2 eggs, but decided to leave them a few more days as they were late comers to the nest. I sure hope I don't find and green gooey stuff in them. That must smell terrible

Back
Top Bottom