KindleTay

Chirping
Mar 20, 2022
Please help!

Is this an oozing rotten egg? Today is day 21 and I have three chicks that have hatched, waiting on three more. None have pipped from what I can tell. Got home from a morning out and noticed this color in the incubator tray, thought maybe the chicks had started pooping.

Chick rolled this egg from the center and noticed it was wet and the same color as the liquid in the tray.

I’m fairly certain it’s oozing but it doesn’t have an opening anywhere… I’m in lockdown. What do I do? I don’t want to kill my chicks by leaving them in there with this. Can anyone confirm it’s a rotten egg? I feel like I need to quickly get the chicks out and pop them in the brooder and get rid of the egg… but what about the other two I’m waiting on? Do I need to clean this goo out so these potential chicks don’t die? Will they die from being out of the incubator too long? Do I need to candle the remaining eggs real quick? I don’t know anything. One chick is still pretty wet. Help 😅

Not the best pictures but the plastic is hard to see through!

ETA: It doesn’t SMELL rotten. It smells really damp and like chicken poo/pee (like a brooder that needs to be cleaned out, but not as strong) when I sniff by the vent. That’s the only reason I’m doubting that it’s rotten… but I really don’t know much about incubating 😅

Attachments

• 29A843F5-01B1-488C-A304-7AD04779D55C.jpeg
    29A843F5-01B1-488C-A304-7AD04779D55C.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 939E0DCB-B869-4152-8282-90A09FD91E80.jpeg
    939E0DCB-B869-4152-8282-90A09FD91E80.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 25
When did you last candle? It could be 'afterbirth' from hatching.
I candled on day 18 when I took the auto turner out. It was pretty quick because I only had six eggs. Three I was sure were great, two that I couldn’t really see any veining but the chick was the right size. One that was much smaller and I couldn’t see veining but maybe saw movement- I marked this one with a question mark. The egg with the weird color isn’t the one with the question mark, so I don’t know. The color wasn’t there this morning after the third chick hatched overnight, but the smell is the same from around then.

I candled on day 18 when I took the auto turner out. It was pretty quick because I only had six eggs. Three I was sure were great, two that I couldn’t really see any veining but the chick was the right size. One that was much smaller and I couldn’t see veining but maybe saw movement- I marked this one with a question mark. The egg with the weird color isn’t the one with the question mark, so I don’t know. The color wasn’t there this morning after the third chick hatched overnight, but the smell is the same from around then.
Any pores oozing? Like beads of sweat? Cracks?

Any pores oozing? Like beads of sweat? Cracks?
Not that I can tell. I definitely don’t see a crack, and the wetness of the honey colored liquid was on the underside of the egg, which I didn’t see until one of the hatched chicks rolled it over.

@KindleTay can you share how this turned out? I have duck eggs that are starting to hatch and one popped on the bottom and has a substance leaking out that looks very similar to the photo you posted.

Back
Top Bottom