Rouen ducks

frugal farmer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 16, 2014
North central Indiana
I have 3 Rouen ducks. One male 2 females. I got them last week of March. He tries "popping" them like you would expect. My question are..... When will they start laying eggs? How long is the incubation period for ducks, when should I expect them to possibly start sitting on eggs if they will, can I have a broody hen sit on them if they won't sit, and will they lay eggs in the brooder boxes or will they lay eggs out in the yard somewhere? Thanks

If they were hatchlings when you got them, you still have a little while to go. They typically don't start laying until sometime between 20-24 weeks. Rouens aren't one of the most prolific layers, but you might get enough this year to make a clutch they'll set on. Since they typically lay quite a few before they start setting, and it takes about 28 days for them to hatch, that would put you into mid-late October at the earliest for the babies to come. Since it's probably already getting chilly in northern Indiana by then, you might end up needing supplemental heat for them for a few weeks.

It's very hard to force them to lay their eggs where you want them unless you lock them in. Rouens typically lay in the morning, so you can control it to some extent by not letting them out of their pen until mid-morning.

If neither of yours goes broody after they have a clutch, yes, a broody chicken is fine. However, Rouens will usually set on their eggs. Just remember that they decide the size of the clutch they want, and there's nothing you can do to force that decision. I've had ducks that weren't satisfied with the size of their clutch until there were 16-18 eggs in it. It really depends a lot on the individual duck.

I won't let they sit on eggs till spring probably I just hatched my first chicks on the farm and I have 2 gilts that I suspect will be having litters over the winter. That will be enough babies to try to keep warm. Thanks for the reply

I won't let they sit on eggs till spring probably I just hatched my first chicks on the farm and I have 2 gilts that I suspect will be having litters over the winter. That will be enough babies to try to keep warm. Thanks for the reply

LOL. Sounds like you're going to have your hands full as it is, so good decision to hold off until spring on the ducklings. Since you're new to ducks, doing this in the spring where you don't have to provide supplemental heat, etc., is definitely the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom