Rough Cut Lumber ok for roost?

Framac

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
New Berlin
I am just curious if there is muchof a concern with splinters if using rough cut lumber. I have some spare available. If it is a bad idea I will break down and spend the 6 dolors for finished lumber.

Thanks,

Christopher

I think there is a concern about splinters. They could lead to bumblefoot. Also, the corners should be rounded off so their feet can more comfortably bend around them. I'd suggest you just take some sandpaper and go over them quickly, whether finished or unfinished. It doesn't take a lot of sanding, just knock off the rough parts.

Yeah i do have to agree on maybe using some better sawn wood, if you have ever seen a flock preparing to roost for the night it's like a dang war zone with all the shuffling and jossling about, better safe than sorry on this one.

AL

Yah, what they said -- my main concern would be how inconcievably and unfixably filthy it would get, being that rough.

If you want inexpensive, a large diameter dead tree branch (like 4-6" diam) with bark removed makes a perfectly good roost, and is easy to clean
smile.png

Good luck, have ufn,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom