Roundworm concerns

HenPecked_bychildren

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2010
SW Florida
So I posted a couple months ago that my chickens had been exposed to a infected bird. Turns out it didn't matter as a couple weeks ago my husband didn't lock them up at night and in the morning all were dead.
sad.png

So we are starting over, we have some babies in the garage right now and more coming in March. When the time comes to move them to the coop(it's a open air permanent hoop coop(9x16) ) are the new chickens going to just get roundworm from being on the same ground? Am I over worrying? Do pretty much all chicken on the ground exposed to roundworm? I never gave worms much thought before as we had never seen any signs of them. When we swapped chickens with a friend and I saw the worms in the new chickens poop I was totally grossed/freaked out. My other chickens never had any signs of worms before they died.

But I worry about it because of my kids. Like after the worm incident my 14 month old picked up a piece of chicken poop(from the front yard, I only turned my back for a SECOND) and put it in her mouth. We did the whole process of testing her poop and thankfully no signs of worms.

Quote:
I see you live in southwest Florida...your soil is similar to mine, condusive for worms. Yes, if a chickens feet touch the ground, they are suspectable to roundworms, and many other types of worms as well. However, if your chickens are eating, drinking normally and not acting lethargic...you dont have anything to worry about. Check their poop occasionally for worms. You can always take a fecal sample to a vet and they'll check it out for you for a nominal fee, they'll also let you know if there's an overload of cocci and also the type of worms you're dealing with. Keep in mind quarantining newbies is the best thing to do before introducing them to your old flock, this gives you time to inspect the newbies and treat any illnesses, parasites etc...

Yes will never make that mistake again. You think when you are dealing with a friend you don't need to worry. But apparently not. The chicken was also COVERED in lice or mites.

Back
Top Bottom