Royal Palm Hen won't stand up

How is the hen doing? I've been trying to follow the story, but you haven't come back to update us yet. I hope she made a full recovery!

How is the hen doing? I've been trying to follow the story, but you haven't come back to update us yet. I hope she made a full recovery!

Hi there and thank you again for all the help, I don't check in on the weekends typically, too busy actually doing stuff
wink.png

Kathy and PalmRoyal, I really appreciate your advice, I spent about three hours working with the hen Friday evening. She got worse Saturday and Sunday and this morning was barely hanging on to life.

I spent another few hours with her before having to go to work. She has stopped eating and drinking on her own. Her legs are locked up and stiff now. It's not looking too good for little gal, I will probably have to put her down tonight.

So anyone who reads this in the future should note that I tried everything mentioned and there never was a clear diagnosis. Egg impacted, broken bones, disease... none of these seemed to be the case. I ended up putting this poor girl down the day after Post #12.

Her legs had become completely stiff and curled. I was massaging her everyday and making sure she got food and water. She was sure a pretty little Royal Palm, it is regrettable that this all happened.

I ended up doing a complete autopsy. Nothing. Nothing at all. This remains a mystery

So anyone who reads this in the future should note that I tried everything mentioned and there never was a clear diagnosis. Egg impacted, broken bones, disease... none of these seemed to be the case. I ended up putting this poor girl down the day after Post #12.

Her legs had become completely stiff and curled. I was massaging her everyday and making sure she got food and water. She was sure a pretty little Royal Palm, it is regrettable that this all happened.

I ended up doing a complete autopsy. Nothing. Nothing at all. This remains a mystery
If her legs were curling, I wonder if she had a spinal problem that was just not diagnosed or did not become severe enough to do anything until then. I am very sorry for your loss though. I do hope that someone might have an insight in the future and can post on here with some information to help others. It really is a weird occurrence.

I suppose that could be, it seems that it would have affected her ability to move her tail though too. She could fan her tail and maneuver it perfectly, who could no.

It wasn't her legs curling to be clear, it was just her toes stiffening and curling up from lack of use.

I have a bourbon red hen doing the same thing going on day 3 now. I fed that morning everything was great. I went to gather eggs that after noon and she wouldn't get out of the nest box. I reached in pulled her out and sat her down and she used her wings to drag her body away from me. I assumed I interupted her and put her back on the nest box. The next morning she is still in it so I take her out and put her under the shade tree with food and water. Her legs are just dangling and no injurys that I can find. She actually laid a egg that afternoon and still has no use of her legs. I worm regularly and my tom dont seem to be too rough on them. Im clueless but this is the second time. The first one was last year and it died.

I have a bourbon red hen doing the same thing going on day 3 now. I fed that morning everything was great. I went to gather eggs that after noon and she wouldn't get out of the nest box. I reached in pulled her out and sat her down and she used her wings to drag her body away from me. I assumed I interupted her and put her back on the nest box. The next morning she is still in it so I take her out and put her under the shade tree with food and water. Her legs are just dangling and no injurys that I can find. She actually laid a egg that afternoon and still has no use of her legs. I worm regularly and my tom dont seem to be too rough on them. Im clueless but this is the second time. The first one was last year and it died.
I am sorry to hear this. This seems very odd that it is all happening all around the same time. Were the two birds exhibiting the same symptoms around the same age when they both came down with whatever is plaguing them? Are they related in any way? I am just curious because I was wondering if it is something genetic. Seems very odd. Or, maybe you could post what you feed because Curly Toe Paralysis like what Kathy had said may also be the culprit. It seems very likely.

Sorry you lost her... Could it have been curly toe paralysis maybe?

-Kathy
Thanks for the great advice! Mind if I add a link that I thought was very helpful when I Googled what this was? I had ever heard of this and was very interested and curious because it seemed very weird that more turkeys are succumbing to this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/217252/curly-toe-paralysis

One hen came from cackle hatchery and one came from a breeder. Its like they are fine then all of a sudden in a matter of a couple hrs there legs are useless. I feed a gamebird feed to all my animals and no problems with any of the other ones

One hen came from cackle hatchery and one came from a breeder. Its like they are fine then all of a sudden in a matter of a couple hrs there legs are useless. I feed a gamebird feed to all my animals and no problems with any of the other ones
What kind of Game Bird feed? I know that there is a local place that sells "Game Bird" food that is something like "Value Time" brand and I looked into it once. It was 14% protein and the ingredients rang a lot of bells in my head. They did not seem quite right to me.

Back
Top Bottom