Rubber eggs

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
Three days ago, my 24 week old Sapphire Olive egger( who by the ways lays brown eggs) laid a beautiful small egg! But since that day when she lays, it has been two occasions, she lays two eggs at the same time, that have a rubbery egg shell! I feed a nutritionally complete layer pellet along with several locations throughout her run with both crushed and flaked oyster shells.. please tell me that this is a normal occurrence with new layers ? I’m stressed with concern that she will get egg bound from doing this? Picture included of my beautiful girl, and her very first egg beside a normal sized egg from one of my big girls

Attachments

• 7583BABD-BA77-4402-8370-44A5261E36C8.jpeg
    7583BABD-BA77-4402-8370-44A5261E36C8.jpeg
    600.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 2E84ED25-AAEC-4A5B-835B-E9E8DD5ECC26.jpeg
    2E84ED25-AAEC-4A5B-835B-E9E8DD5ECC26.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 20
That is normal. It may take a couple of weeks before she works the kinks out of her egg laying 🙂
Your girl is beautiful! Congratulations on her first egg! I have an EE and 2 Olive Eggers that lay brown eggs too. Sigh, I completely missed my EEs first several eggs as I kept waiting for blue ones to appear in the nest boxes.

There are some rare times when hens will frequently lay two eggs in one day. It is kind of a defect. I wouldn't suspect that, since she is a new layer, but it does happen.

I would get a bottle of calcium citrate + D3 to have on hand for her, in case she gets egg bound, or if her shells get really weak. She'll probably need it because she sounds like she'll be a prolific layer either way. Oh yes, make sure to have an oyster shell supplement that she will eat offered up as well.

Missed that in your first post. Do you notice her eating them?
Yesterday was the first time I noticed her pecking at it, I have one of those chick-nick tables that is kept full at all times, along with a dish in the coop and a bird feeder hanging from a hook full of the oyster shells

There are some rare times when hens will frequently lay two eggs in one day. It is kind of a defect. I wouldn't suspect that, since she is a new layer, but it does happen.

I would get a bottle of calcium citrate + D3 to have on hand for her, in case she gets egg bound, or if her shells get really weak. She'll probably need it because she sounds like she'll be a prolific layer either way. Oh yes, make sure to have an oyster shell supplement that she will eat offered up as well.
How do I dose this calcium citrate? Hopefully in the drinking water?

How do I dose this calcium citrate? Hopefully in the drinking water?
Sadly, no. You will need to feed it to her. I find that it is easiest to place them on your lap with their body under your left arm (if you are right handed). Reach around the neck with your left hand and pull down gently but firmly on the wattles. This will make her open her beak. You can then quickly place the pill midway into her beak with your right hand. If it isn't far enough back, she will spit it out. If it is too far back, you risk putting the pill into the trachea. The pills seem huge, but if you can get it in the beak, chickens have no trouble swallowing it. If you are very lucky, your girl will eat it out of your hand, but I've only had that happen once.

Three days ago, my 24 week old Sapphire Olive egger( who by the ways lays brown eggs) laid a beautiful small egg! But since that day when she lays, it has been two occasions, she lays two eggs at the same time, that have a rubbery egg shell! I feed a nutritionally complete layer pellet along with several locations throughout her run with both crushed and flaked oyster shells.. please tell me that this is a normal occurrence with new layers ? I’m stressed with concern that she will get egg bound from doing this? Picture included of my beautiful girl, and her very first egg beside a normal sized egg from one of my big girls
My australorp pullet did this same thing. She laid her first egg 2 days ago, perfect, small, hard shelled pullet egg right in the nesting box (just like her sisters first one who has been laying perfect eggs for 2 weeks) but yesterday she laid a rubber egg outside in her run and then a shellless, liquid egg a couple hours later in the same area of her run! I have no idea what happened but have added even more grit and saw them both pecking at it so I hope all is good. No egg yet from her today, but a perfect one from her sister.

My australorp pullet did this same thing. She laid her first egg 2 days ago, perfect, small, hard shelled pullet egg right in the nesting box (just like her sisters first one who has been laying perfect eggs for 2 weeks) but yesterday she laid a rubber egg outside in her run and then a shellless, liquid egg a couple hours later in the same area of her run! I have no idea what happened but have added even more grit and saw them both pecking at it so I hope all is good. No egg yet from her today, but a perfect one from her sister.
Grit only aids in the crop, I added oyster shells to hardened the egg shells.. haven’t had an issue since!

Grit only aids in the crop, I added oyster shells to hardened the egg shells.. haven’t had an issue since!
My girl who has been laying for 2 weeks hasn’t had one issue or one soft egg! Now my girl who just started hasn’t laid since her rubber and liquid egg the other day. Still eating and drinking and moving like normal. Is she just figuring out her system still?

Back
Top Bottom