rude comments! how to respond?

I tell people I like ducks more than most of the humans I know. Shuts them up pretty fast. Or I just smile and say "BOCK BOCK BOCK" or Quackity quackity" as the case may be.

My neighbor and I have a running joke. He says how tasty Miss Matilda Pekin Duck (my Princess Duck) looks and I ask him how many boxes of stovetop did he think his min-pin (his Princess Pooch) would hold.

Quote:
HEHEHe I like roy acuff
lol.png

I dont tell people any thing most show up and go OOoo you have chickens When we lived in the city I had bee hives in my yard and one day the lady behind me was freaking out over it when I told her they had been in the same place for a year and then she was ok with it. I feel it is my yard I payed for it I can do as I please. I now live on 78ac and I do as I please the man on the farm next to me did ask one day " just how meny bee hives you trying to have any ways a 100?" I just smiled and responded Nope 200 - 500 he got on his tractor and left
hmm.png
o well he still gets free pollination from my hives.

The homeowners association onced refeered to me and my wife as the farmers down the street. With our garden and bee hives
tongue.png

Dont worry about others and live your life the way you wont. If they ask for eggs then its up to you if you would like for them to have them or not but If you do give them eggs i would remind them that chickens are nasty and stink and killed the lawn

So far I haven't gotten ANY rude comments. The closest I came was my sister's smirk. Other than that, people seem honestly interested in what I have, and quick to share their experiences.

But I think we've all dealt with jerks at one time or another who say stupid things.. so I usually reply to crap like that with, "Oh what an <interesting/stupid/odd> thing to say!" and then walk off. That shuts them up. Especially if you say something like, "Oh, what a rude thing to say." LOL! What can they reply to that??

Anyway it's their loss. No fresh eggs for them!!

Meghan

Last edited:
Living in the middle of 82 acres, I have gotten either, laughter or "boy are you lucky!" The ones who laugh don't bother me as I know they don't have a clue..."those who laugh last..................."

I have never gotten any rude comments about my birds. Most are genuinely interested, and Love to earn about them.
yippiechickie.gif

I was shocked at the amount of people who know absolutely nothing about Chickens! I had one guy tell me that all eggs are brown, but the white ones sold in stores are bleached!
he.gif

Once upon a time, when we first moved to this farm, our 70+yrs neighbors offered us eggs @ $1/doz. I replied that I could get them for .75 at the grocery store. DUMB!!! (My husband took their eggs to work and sold them for our neighbors)
Now I wouldn't touch those store bought eggs if they paid me to eat them!

They just dont know what they are missing fresh eggs I now have many people begging for eggs have birds that are wonderful pets and love to tell people who are curious about birds and teach them a thing or 2 My ever so lovely Not
roll.png
SIL had this big bird flu thing when it was in the news and she started freaking out geez we aint died yet?? LOL!
big_smile.png

My friends and family just laughed and said, "you go farm girl"
lol.png
Do whatever makes you happy. I haven't really had any negative comments, but then I am out in the middle of the country, and most people have cows, horses, farms etc.

I was a city slicker when I was a kid and up until I was about 25, then we moved out to the country and we've been SO MUCH happier ever since!

I would say, "it's unfortunate that you are so uninformed (a nice way to say) IGNORANT, why don't you go get a book on the subject and expand your mind instead of being judgmental about something you obviously know nothing about"

But then again if they are "that" kind of person it won't do any good. Just enjoy your chickens and ignore the ignorant.........

Back
Top Bottom