goodb

Songster
8 Years
Aug 27, 2013
My little piece of heaven!
My Coop
My Coop
Hey gang,

I had a broody hen try to hatch eggs but I think she made some mistakes; So many that it was a disaster. The result was eggs that were a mess. I candled them and saw something very strange. Would you please take a look and let me know what you think happened so I can possibly prevent a future occurrence?

Thank you.

I'm not sure what you mean by your broody making mistakes. They sit on the eggs, they get off once or twice a day, and then they go back and sit again. Was your broody off the nest for, oh, a day or more? Could it be that your eggs weren't fertile? I didn't have the sound on - how far into incubation were these eggs? Had you candled them previously and found all to be well? Was your broody isolated, or in with other hens? Were these eggs that you collected at your place, or were they shipped? There are a lot of variables that can happen when hatching artificially, but it's usually pretty fool-proof when using a broody.

Last edited:
Most of your questions are answered in the commentary in the video. In case I didn't give enough info in it, here are the answers.

She was always on the nest except for her times to do business.
She was isolated.
Eggs were fertile - verified and taken from my own girls.
The egg in the video was at what would be day 24. All five eggs had the same appearance.

That's what I thought regarding the broody but this was just sad. Go back and watch the video with sound for more info.

Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom