Rumors or Real? Cornish Rocks and all the stuff I hear on the Internet

They started laying about a month ago. I am incubating some eggs now, due to hath on the 13th. It will be interesting to see how the chicks mature.
I got the chicks last October- so they layed pretty early I guess.

Last edited:
I bought 6 Cornish Rocks from TS in early March, all out of the same tub. 2 died within a week, 2 don't look anything like Cornish Rocks, they are the size of the RIRs the same age and are white with black rings around the neck. The remaining 2 are at least 3 times the size of my other breeds of chick the same age. They are about 7 weeks old and destined for the freezer in the next week or two.

I purchased 10 "Cornish X" from Tractor Supply. I lost one at 4 weeks, culled one at 5 weeks because it was dying and lost one at 5 weeks. I just butchered one yesterday at 7 weeks because he was having such a hard time walking that he was getting pushed away from the feeder. There was something wrong with at least one of his legs where it bowed in strangely. He'd be at the feed and shift his weight off the bad leg which would result in him turning about 60 degrees clockwise. He'd pick at the food over his shoulder and then shift his weight again which would cause hime to rotate another 60 degrees until his back was almost to the feeder and he'd look around for the food and flop around trying to turn himself around, sometimes using one wing to try to stabalize himself. It was really painful to watch and while he started off bigger than most of his flock mates, they were overtaking him and I figured it was better to just butcher him early. I will say that he had a very nice 4 lb, 6 oz carcass after butchering, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the remaining are at 8 weeks of age. I haven't been very enamoured with this breed, although I will say that we've had a extremely cold and snowy April and these birds are still in my garage. I had planned on moving them outside weeks ago but we've had nights as low as 7 degrees and snow every other day and I've been afraid to risk putting htem in a tractor. So, perhaps having the space and freedom to free range makes a difference in their health and mobility. I'll say "never again" to getting them this early and given the choice, would rather do the Freedom Rangers I raised last summer, but perhaps haven't given CX a fair chance but of the original 10, only 6 will make it to the full 8 weeks.

Last edited:
I purchased 10 "Cornish X" from Tractor Supply. I lost one at 4 weeks, culled one at 5 weeks because it was dying and lost one at 5 weeks. I just butchered one yesterday at 7 weeks because he was having such a hard time walking that he was getting pushed away from the feeder. There was something wrong with at least one of his legs where it bowed in strangely. He'd be at the feed and shift his weight off the bad leg which would result in him turning about 60 degrees clockwise. He'd pick at the food over his shoulder and then shift his weight again which would cause hime to rotate another 60 degrees until his back was almost to the feeder and he'd look around for the food and flop around trying to turn himself around, sometimes using one wing to try to stabalize himself. It was really painful to watch and while he started off bigger than most of his flock mates, they were overtaking him and I figured it was better to just butcher him early. I will say that he had a very nice 4 lb, 6 oz carcass after butchering, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the remaining are at 8 weeks of age. I haven't been very enamoured with this breed, although I will say that we've had a extremely cold and snowy April and these birds are still in my garage. I had planned on moving them outside weeks ago but we've had nights as low as 7 degrees and snow every other day and I've been afraid to risk putting htem in a tractor. So, perhaps having the space and freedom to free range makes a difference in their health and mobility. I'll say "never again" to getting them this early and given the choice, would rather do the Freedom Rangers I raised last summer, but perhaps haven't given CX a fair chance but of the original 10, only 6 will make Sit to the full 8 weeks.
I found I liked the much better when I put them outside!! I haven't had any die on me, but I had a couple that we had to process earlier than the others because of leg issues (one at 7 weeks, and one at 9 weeks. The 6 I have left hang out with the rest of my layer girls, so It really isn't a big deal. I didn't like them so much, when they were inside in the brooder-- They Stink!!
sickbyc.gif

They started laying about a month ago. I am incubating some eggs now, due to hath on the 13th. It will be interesting to see how the chicks mature.
I got the chicks last October- so they layed pretty early I guess.
If you have any extra chicks or eggs you are looking to sell (from the Cornish X/Ranger mix) let me know. I would love to get some!

If you have any extra chicks or eggs you are looking to sell (from the Cornish X/Ranger mix) let me know.  I would love to get some!
it's just a silly project. If you want some eggs you just have to pay to ship em. I haven't hatched any out yet, so I can't say what is gunna pop out of that shell though.

Back
Top Bottom