Rumpless from scratch. I have a thro-back rooster without a tail. want to get him to pass on the trait. Help. All advice appreciated.

I don't have a degree from Harvard.A simple man raised gamefowl for decades.And had superior fowl and was delicates and was known well for my fowl.Again tailless fowl I have no clue however if it is genetic your best chance of carrying it is to breed back to his daughters

I don't have a degree from Harvard.A simple man raised gamefowl for decades.And had superior fowl and was delicates and was known well for my fowl.Again tailless fowl I have no clue however if it is genetic your best chance of carrying it is to breed back to his daughters
Some rumplessness is genetic, other is spontaneous mutation from trauma to a developing embryo

Someone shed light on these genetics all I can tell you I kept my strains that were passed down from generation and it's not as easy when you in competition traits but as a staple they all peas in a pod regardless as far as color comb types etc

My grand pa said never bred a wry tail cock but I did and I didn't have a bunch of why tails but maybe I got lucky and old timers said hen that crowed was a curse need to kill it I found out just hormones were high and she throwed some bigger bears

I've seen one rumpless hen from blue egg laying stock in 2018. She laid a white egg which is one of the segregating possibilities in the cross I've been making between blue egg laying Brown Leghorns and Silver Laced Wyandottes. I culled her as I did not want either white eggs or rumpless in my birds. While I can't rule out a de novo mutation, it is far more likely that a recessive gene was in play. Rumpless is often touted as a dominant gene, but I am 100% certain this hen came from normal parents with tails.

Be careful when tight breeding it has its positive and it's negative s I bred for competition traits it can make your fowl health issues more difficult and they get smaller my guess is how game bantums were made new blood from heathy flock same strain helps improve health but I always avoided brother sister mateing when raising competition fowl.However I did find out the pullets from a cock most part throw his traits as a cock offspring However Hens are the key to keeping a strain like peas in a pod color comb type etc.
Thanks prop toe, I did get 18 eggs from an unrelated strain to freshen the blood but only 8 survived and they where all badly vaulted so i couldnt breed from them.

I've seen one rumpless hen from blue egg laying stock in 2018. She laid a white egg which is one of the segregating possibilities in the cross I've been making between blue egg laying Brown Leghorns and Silver Laced Wyandottes. I culled her as I did not want either white eggs or rumpless in my birds. While I can't rule out a de novo mutation, it is far more likely that a recessive gene was in play. Rumpless is often touted as a dominant gene, but I am 100% certain this hen came from normal parents with tails.
so the rumpless hen you mention was not an araucana at all? Is there a trait for no tail in the wyndottes then. As there is a possibility that a wyndotte roo got in with the aras wher I got the rumpless roo from. Ah -ha!

Back
Top Bottom