Rumpless from scratch. I have a thro-back rooster without a tail. want to get him to pass on the trait. Help. All advice appreciated.

The fowl I raised for years were blue face Hatch Lyord Miner Blues North Britton White Hackles Riverview Hatch.

Is there a trait for no tail in the wyandottes then.
Not to the best of my knowledge, but when making crosses, recessives often show up that are totally unanticipated. As another example, Brown Leghorn does not to my knowledge carry a gene for yellow feathers and neither do Silver Laced Wyandottes. I still wound up with a yellow hen in the F4 generation. Same with the rumpless hen. Neither parent line was rumpless and that one hen was the only rumpless I saw.

At a guess, it was a recessive in the Brown Leghorns since they trace back to blue egg laying Araucanas that carry the rumpless trait. When combined with a recessive from the SLW parents, rumpless was expressed.

But if you think white eggs, yellow feathers, or rumpless are impressive, let me tell you about the hen hatched last year that had silver laced wyandotte colors and behavior, but had a fan of long tail feathers like a leghorn. Every time I saw her with her tail fanned out, I thought of a silver laced turkey strutting around the yard.

Not to the best of my knowledge, but when making crosses, recessives often show up that are totally unanticipated. As another example, Brown Leghorn does not to my knowledge carry a gene for yellow feathers and neither do Silver Laced Wyandottes. I still wound up with a yellow hen in the F4 generation. Same with the rumpless hen. Neither parent line was rumpless and that one hen was the only rumpless I saw.

At a guess, it was a recessive in the Brown Leghorns since they trace back to blue egg laying Araucanas that carry the rumpless trait. When combined with a recessive from the SLW parents, rumpless was expressed.

But if you think white eggs, yellow feathers, or rumpless are impressive, let me tell you about the hen hatched last year that had silver laced wyandotte colors and behavior, but had a fan of long tail feathers like a leghorn. Every time I saw her with her tail fanned out, I thought of a silver laced turkey strutting around the yard.
Silver Wyandottes actually do probably have a cream gene. It’s pretty common for silver birds to carry dilutions that cause “golden.” However I agree that it would be unexpected to pop up.
And I agree with your point.
I kind of want to see your “turkey.” 😂👌

Ive still obviously got a lot to learn about dominant and recessive genes - thanks for the input. And I would love to see a silver laced turkey chicken also.

Back
Top Bottom