Rumpless Genetics

flgardengirl

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Sunny side up :)
I read somewhere that the rumpless gene can randomly show up in any chicken breed. Is that true or does one or both of the parents have to be rumpless or carry a recessive gene? Is the rumpless gene even recessive?

Last edited:
Ill try to help, by giving you a bump and this....

Dominant Rumplessness Rp - No coccyx (tail vertebra), reduces hatchability.
Recessive Rumplessness rp+ Wild-type gene. Recessive. Lack of dominant rumplessness. Fowls usually have tails
Recessive Rumplessness rp-2 A skeletal mutation commonly called "roachback"

Chris

Last edited:
It is indeed true - I don't know the specifics on genetics of it, but I have seen quite a few BYC members and even in Feathersite - People can have breeds as common as a Barred Rock or OEGB pop up without a tail.

I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone will still be watching.... :)

If it pops up randomly, is it possible to still breed rumplessness from the bird, or is it a total crapshoot?

I would think that you could especially if you have a pair of them.

Even the Araucana will have tailed offspring from a rumpless pair of birds.

No, only a pullet. I'm hoping though, that if I breed her to a tailed male, that even if her offspring come out tailed, I can breed the best male back to her and get rumpless chicks...? Any suggestions?

No, only a pullet. I'm hoping though, that if I breed her to a tailed male, that even if her offspring come out tailed, I can breed the best male back to her and get rumpless chicks...? Any suggestions?

That woukld most likely work in getting more rumpless chicks.

I've also got a rumples hen. She is a bantam gold laced polish, my farther in law, who breeds polish, gave her to me 'cause she was no good to him. He said that she had never had a tail and that she hatched like that from completely normal parents. She has no tail at all, not even a bump, the feathers are just smooth. If I put her to a polish bantam like her but with a tail would I get 50/50 rumples like with the frizzle breeding. It would be quite interesting to breed some rumples polish.

Back
Top Bottom