Run covering ideas and window ideas for pacific northwest

Not sure why height matters or is a concern... If you just want shade there are options, for example you could pull a few wires/ropes from end to end and drape the tarps over that...
Cause PVC hoop won't work. Tarps are an eye sore so was looking for something longer lasting ideas but looks like tapes and PVC are the only suggestions so far

Cause PVC hoop won't work. Tarps are an eye sore so was looking for something longer lasting ideas but looks like tapes and PVC are the only suggestions so far
We didn't use PVC hoops and tarps, we used cattle panels and adjustable landscape fabric. Easy to work with.

Edited to add: Since your run is already built, and we don't know what the dimensions are, could you use dog kennel panels for the top and then cover that with either fabric or that shade cloth used for kennels? I know some have done that.

Last edited:

Well I beg to differ that PVC hoops won't work I'll bet with a little creativity they will work just fine...

As for tarps being an eye sore well what is or isn't an eye sore varies from person to person, I personally don't consider a mesh tarp awing or shade roof an eyesore if it's installed cleanly...

As said above, we know little about your setup, yet every time an idea is tossed out you say "Well my run is this or that and that won't work." so please toss us a bone, take some pictures, tell us how your run it built, give us dimensions, tell us what the purpose of the roof is and what you want it to look like...

Last edited:
My run is rather large so covering the whole run isn't an option. I am getting sand this weekend and it will make it about 3" deep. I can't afford the 6" deep at the moment. Thinking I can get some in late August or early september before fall rain comes? The coop has a roof but wanted to cover part of the run and have it still look nice but not break the bank. Can I see pictures of your run? It is wide so just throwing on piece of whatever on it wont suffice. So kind of stuck on ideas.

Also window ideas for ventilation and light but still keeping the rain out especially when the wind is really blowing? Looking for DIY ideas. :) Thanks in advance!

I have roamed this thread but wanted to see more pictures of runs and windows in rainy states. (I am a visual person)
Posting pics of your coop and run would help people make suggestions, I wouldn't suggest a solution without seeing the situation first.

I took the stationary windows in the shed my coop is in and hinged them at the top so they can be open and form an awning to block rain from coming in windows.
I have deep open eaves on said shed covered with hardware cloth for ventilation all year round.
I built a metal awning and used some old widows to form a 'foyer' of sorts to block pop door from rain/snow and prevailing wind in winter.
You can see these things by clicking the My Coop link under my username.

ETA: part of my run is under the coop so they have shelter from the rain.
If you don't want to use tarps, and I understand that, building a frame to support a solid roof is probably your best bet.

Last edited:
Posting pics of your coop and run would help people make suggestions, I wouldn't suggest a solution without seeing the situation first.

I took the stationary windows in the shed my coop is in and hinged them at the top so they can be open and form an awning to block rain from coming in windows.
I have deep open eaves on said shed covered with hardware cloth for ventilation all year round.
I built a metal awning and used some old widows to form a 'foyer' of sorts to block pop door from rain/snow and prevailing wind in winter.
You can see these things by clicking the My Coop link under my username.

ETA: part of my run is under the coop so they have shelter from the rain.
If you don't want to use tarps, and I understand that, building a frame to support a solid roof is probably your best bet.

I'm currently building it that is why I was looking for suggestions :) I think we have it all figured out now though

Back
Top Bottom