run fence/mesh

killswitch75

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2020
hello all. i am new her. i have raised chickens in the past but its been sometime and never at the home we have now. anyhow i have built a new coop and a run that is attached and on a slope bank. we live rural and right along the river. i know many use the 1/2" hardware cloth for their enclosures or runs but i have been considering the 2x4 fencing i seenin some of the posts here for rigidity and ease of mounting. i am concerned with predators to include hawks, bald eagles, coon, coyotes, red fox, and cats. my hens will be locked in at night but i wanted to know thoughts from experienced folks on if that fence size is penetrable for a coon or possum. we could and have had mink that could concern me as well from the river.

any thoughts would be appreciated! i will share picks of my coop and run shortly.

Hardware cloth will definitely keep your birds safer, especially from the mink and raccoons. Highly recommend an apron as well, extending the fencing out away from the bottom of the run under the ground a ways, 12 to 18 inches.

i was planning to do an apron for diggers. do you think adding a low row of poultry fence over the wire fence would suffice? i know coon can fit through some damn small openings but not sure if the can fit through that 2x4 fence

i was planning to do an apron for diggers. do you think adding a low row of poultry fence over the wire fence would suffice? i know coon can fit through some damn small openings but not sure if the can fit through that 2x4 fence

Coons will reach their arms through to grab a chicken if they can. The whole chicken will not fit through the fence, but the raccoon will be happy to eat what he can get hold of, usually the head.

Unfortunately there are a lot of small predators out there. Weasels, ermin, etc can all fit through everything except hardware cloth.
Like others have said, raccoons will reach through and grab chickens.

I've got a predator proof coop and run, every opening is covered with hardware cloth.
I've got a 30' x 50' area fenced with 2"x4" page wire that they can "free range" in while I'm home. When they're out there I accept the risk that nearly any predator could get them. That fence is really just to protect them from my dog.

Also, if you are worried about Hawks and other raptors, I would definately consider aviary netting over the top, it's usually very easy to install just using string that comes with it to tie it to the top of your fence. This also will prevent opposums and racoons from scaling your fencing or nearby trees and invading your run from above. Keep in mind though, if you forget to latch your run or coop door, or leave it open while the hens free range, predators, and even small animals like rabbits and squirrels can be easily trapped inside.

My coop/covered run is locked down with 1/2"HC but my run is protected from mostly hawks. That is my only day time critter in my urban area. Chain link and 2x4 wire with heavy net is my run. It fits my needs.
vvvvv.jpg
vvv.jpg

That looks great, ours is similar but the coop is closed completely with fencing only over the windows. MN winters call for a super stuffy coop. Also, you may notice my laziness when covering the coop with netting. I even had a rabbit get stuck in the extra netting on the ground, lol. It took more time to set the rabbit free then it would have to pin up the netting. The same rabbit also got under my coop later when I left the run door open for the hens. He just sits outside the run some days.:idunno

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_110323.jpg
    IMG_20200602_110323.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
i picked up 100' of 2"x3" 14ga wire fence with black pvc coating. gonna give it a try and see what happens. i regularly patrol my property at night with thermal imaging for pests and critters so we shall see how it goes. i still plan to add hc to the bottom with an apron buried. i am going to do metal poultry net for the overhead portion. hopefully it works out.

thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom