Run- Fencing? Which did you use?

chickenpredatorkiller

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
South Carolina
I am going to be building a coop and run soon and I am looking for a good fencing material for it. I know not to use chickenwire, but I can't find anything cheap enough to use... what did you guys use for your fencing material and how much did it cost?

Chicken wire on Tposts with junk PVC pipe extensions to hold up the 6' chicken wire, three strands of electric fence on the outside. Just make sure your gate is as tall as your fence and the electric wire goes across the gate opening too.

I used chicken wire ($80) but It can be cheaper, but we used 3 hard wire straining wires as support then we pegged down the bottom so as to deter predators.

The last dog attack I had went over a gap over the gate. The one before that they went right over six foot tall chicken wire; Now I have two to three strands of electric fence wire around all of them, a few inches off the ground and one close to six foot. Depending on the terrain some have another wire halfway up...

Yeah I said deter, I know foxes and dogs could easily gnaw through the wire of even just jump over it (It's only 1.2m high) but they are securely locked up at night and I haven't seen any dogs or foxes for 2 years and we've almost had our chickens for 1 year (touch wood).

I'm not sure gravel would work as a barrier, but I've never tried it. I used 1/2" hardware cloth, buried a foot and 4' up on my run, after that I used chcken wire, for the roof as well. My coop is open to the run and I haven't had any problems with predators except when they are free ranging. I am lazy and would much rather do it once and be done that go possibly cheaper but have to mess with it . The price of wire varies wildly so shop around . Check out wayfair, they have free shipping and sometime have the wire on sale. Auctions & craigslist.

I found 1X1 welded wire, 4'by 100' for 100.00. It is only 16 gauge wire but the openings are small enough to keep wild birds out.
The 14 gauge wire was 254.00 for the same length. I found it at local farm store.

This is work in progress hence the gate opening is not completed yet.

I am using 2M high light weight stock fencing £60-£80 for 50M around my field.
The Chickens and Ducks are in with my 4 Soay Sheep and 2 Shetland Ponies
The fence has 300-450mm mm skirt around it clipped to the bottom strainer wire to prevent digging in from the outside.
I am on heavy clay here so no way can I put fencing in to the ground!

I will be folding the top over to create an anti climb overhang hence why the short posts are not full height and will also run electric fencing tape along the top

The WIR on the right is made from two football goals my children stopped using bolted face to face

The bottom picture is a different part of the same field near my pond
I had the birds penned up in a small fenced area whilst putting up the new stuff and you can see the resultant mud from 8 ducks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom