Run Floor

Justabeginer

Hatching
Jun 2, 2015
Cypress texas

This is the coop I am considering buying. My question is, It it acceptable to use a concrete floor for the run? It seems like it would be easy to clean and maintain. If so, do I need to add anything like shavings on top of the concrete or can I leave it bare?
TIA

Concrete is a poor flooring option. It does not allow the chickens to scratch or peck in the dirt. Unless these are free range chickens, I would highly advise against this. It is best that chickens have access to soil in the run. Sand is an alternative here. Seeing that the run is covered, the sand will stay clean and be easy to maintain. Also, prefab coops are not the easiest to clean, and are often pricey. You might want to explore other options, or possibly build your own.

I wonder if you could pack thick dirt in it on top of the granite? Wouldn't that make it drain well? You might use 2X4 as a boarder and fill it packed with one of those rented depot dirt packers of a manual one so they won't just dig to rocks if it's only 2" deep.

I can only bring myself to poison the mice that try to colonize the interior walls of my house. I'm concerned about the other wildlife that may eat it if I put it outside, otherwise, I might go for it as the chipmunks not only eat all of my birds' food, but the tunnel all over the place and have really messed up my already deteriorating and mossy patio. However, I think I'll take the chipmunks over rats and rattlesnakes!! 18 rattlesnakes, basically in your yard?? I'll take the northeast, thank you. I bet you have really big bugs too.

I hope the storm doesn't develop into anything major. I guess all you can do is batten down the hatches and hope for the best. 48 chickens is a lot in my book. maybe you can build them an underground shelter....

I bought Scratch n' Peck grower, because of my rooster. The reviews were good, but who knows, I know I don't. It looked good, like maybe something they would eat. I'm a little concerned with their light appetites - I don't give them that many treats, I think they may just be holding out for them.

Well good luck skunk and rattle snake hunting (oh the rats too). I hope your girls' feathers grow in nicely and you are able to locate the soft egg layer. I had one for years but eventually, one got stuck in her. It was pretty sad and she suffered as I tried to fix it by taking her to the vet a few time over the course of FIVE days. I'll NEVER do that again. Poor thing.

Again, good luck with that storm!
Well the worst is over from Tropical Storm Bill. Both coops handled the 50+ MPH wind just fine. Believe it or not those chickens still went outside in all that wind and rain. They would huddle by their pop door and just stand there. We had put a feeder and a waterer in their coop in case they stayed inside all day. Our yard is soaked and leaves and branches are everywhere. It's still raining off and on, not hard rain with wind like yesterday but it just never stops for long and starts up again. We lost one large branch from a tree in the backyard and one branch off a shrub next to the house. I had beautiful sunflowers that were tall with huge flowers and the wind got most of them. Oh, well will plant again.

Since we couldn't do anything outside I canned salsa from our tomatoes and made grape jelly from the grapes I picked. We were worried about the power going out but it just blinked a few times.

Hope all is well in your chicken world!

My first coop is on concrete so I put down lots of shavings and it worked out just fine. My new coop has a wooden floor covered with a cheap vinyl and I put lots of shaving in that coop, too.

THANKS again folks!
Yes, the coop is small and is advertised as holding 2-3 chickens. However, I live in a subdivision and need to be mindful of the limitations. Our deed restrictions allow for birds but generally describe 2-3. That should be adequate for my "eggs only" objective. The yard is large so I can let them out to stretch daily.
My problem is that the area where I want to put the coop is on top of an existing crushed granite patio that will STINK in no time if I put the coop directly on top of it. I would have to dig 1/2 ton of the granite out to get down to dirt. I was thinking of laying precast concrete slabs on top of the crushed granite and sealing the joints. If I fill the run with sand on top of concrete is that a better solution?

Back
Top Bottom