Run Maintenance

JOSEPHC

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 23, 2012
Long Island New York
I have eight hens in a 9'x9' run. I let them free range for about one - two hours per day. At about 6:30 P.M., they go into the coop and come out at about 6:30 A.M. The coop has pine shavings in it which I remove the droppings from every other day, yet keep the pine shavings in it (deep liter method being used). The run has dirt in it which I rake the droppings out of every third day. The run drains well and about once per week, I take a deep, four- prong hoe and turn up and loosen the soil in the run.

My question is, is this enough maintenance/cleaning or should I be doing something else? I plan to put sand into the run next Spring, but for now, I am stuck with the soil in the run.Your advice and experience will be welcomed.

That sounds about like what I do with my run. I tend to let the girls out for more than just two hours a day, but other than that we have the same routine as you. We find that every time we rake out the run we lose a bit more dirt along with the droppings, so we add sand or garden soil periodically to keep the run from digging its way to China. ;) In the winter, we throw straw in the run so the hens can scratch around in something. The ground freezes pretty solid here in winter. Our run has a roof over it, so the dirt/sand stays pretty dry even in rain/snow.

Back
Top Bottom