Run-Sand, Wood Chips or both?

walkerkm

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2009
Ma
I have read various senarios and i'm not sure what is best.

I have a run which is 4X8 and has grass. Trying to find a way to keep the run clean and not eventually smelling horrible.

I was thinking of adding a layer of construction sand to the floor and then adding wood chips-trees that were run through a chipper. We have a few friends at the DPW that will give us all we want for free-sweet! Just wanted to see if anyone thought i should just do sand or just do chips or both? Want to make sure that my run is easy to clean and smell free.

thanks for any suggestions you may have!
smile.png

Quote:
Good plan. The sand will provide drainage and a good base, the wood chips will provde a nice clean footing. WC's are not terribly absorbent, though, so be prepared to change them as often as needed.

4 x 8 (32 sq. ft) is not very big, so make sure you dont overcrowd it. 3-4 chickens would be pushing it.
NOTE: If you're banking on the "4 Square Foot Rule"... toss it in the dumpster on this one. We're talking close confinement here, which changes all the rules.

Also ensure the run is at a high point in the landscape. No sand and woodchip base will overcome a poorly drained site in a low spot.

thanks for the info-looks like we are going with just the sand. also i will be adding an additional 32 ft to the run this weekend.
smile.png

Quote:
Now were talking! Go with 4" of sand, minimum. Sand is clean and drains moisture well. It keep's the manure dry, which is always good. But it does need maintenance.

Rake off the dried manure as it builds up, say once a week.
Then rake in a handful of ag lime for every surface yard once every few weeks, or as needed to "sweeten" the sand.
Once every six months evaluate the sand's condition and decide if you should replace it. Most "sandies" seem to replace it at least once a year.

So, I am also interested in this subject. For an 8x8 run, how much sand? What is ag lime?

Also, I thought chicken keeping was almost effortless. What is up with the DE and the treatments to prevent infestation etc. Are there some basics that I can live by that are safe, require little $ and time, and are good for the chickens? Two of my friends who raise chickens don't seem to do much of anything besides feed and water them. Thanks!!!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Sand is considered to cover 100 sq ft per cubic yard, to a depth of 3".
8 x 8 is only 64 sq ft, but at 4" deep you are very close to a cubic yard. Since you cannot get it in smaller bulk quantities (generally), just get the c-yard.
Ag lime is hydrated lime, meant for gardens or agricultural use. Ask for it at garden centers or where farm products are sold.

Chicken keeping effortless? Nothing worth having is easy, and it is certainly not so when animals are kept in confinement. Animals which are confined will be susceptible to disease and pests, all the more for their close quarters. Much the same applies to humans, I might add.

Here are the FIVE RULES of CHICKENS, stripped down:

1. Clean, Fresh Food and Water
There is no substitute. If eating or drinking it will hurt you, it is bad for chickens.

2. Adequate housing
All poultry housing must be dry on top, dry on bottom and offer adequate ventilation where the birds roost. Think sheltered, but airy. Housing should not be sited where there is a hint of slow drainage or mud.

3. Adequate space
Overcrowding is the worst thing you can do. Crowd them too tightly and funk, filth and disease will soon follow.

4. Protection from Predators
These birds depend on you for protection. You are their steward.

5. Cleanliness
This is the other worst thing you can do. Nothing is as nasty as a filthy chicken house and run. Disease and pests run rampant in such a place and you are to blame.

These things are about as common sense as you can get. Again, much the same goes for people.
They are also cheap... nothing fancy is needed. But effortless? Sorry, no.

Last edited:
Thanks,

My husband just finished building a palace for our 8 standard/bantam chickens that is all of the things it needs to be. Airy, easy to clean, safe etc. The only problem I see is that half of the run is getting packed down with damp, hard, soil. It is humid so it is starting to smell. I will definitley put some sand in. I was also wondering what else I can do to prevent pests. I heard of spraying the coop with stuff, treating their legs with oil, DE?...this is what I meant by effortless, there doesn't seem to be a steadfast method, but instead lots of opinions as to what works. The inside coop is raised, tiled, well vented, but I just laid a thin layer of shavings under the roost. I am thinking of adding hay as well. What else should I do to treat the inside of the coop? Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom