Run substrate

Hogwarts322

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
Hi All,
I have a dirt run, and was wondering if people typically add any additional substrate to their run on top of the original dirt? As of right now, it’s working fine, and allowing for a several dust bathing areas, but they are starting to scratch large divots in each corner. I’m also realizing that bc I live in a cold climate (Maine), that the dirt base will likely freeze and harden over the winter.
Thanks!

IMG_20210820_151500845.jpg

I use wood chips that I get for free from the Highway Department. They stay dry under the solid roof of the run and the birds dig holes in it to dust bathe. It also acts as a nice dry organic medium for poop to cold compost in.

This looks very
View attachment 2811457
I use wood chips that I get for free from the Highway Department. They stay dry under the solid roof of the run and the birds dig holes in it to dust bathe. It also acts as a nice dry organic medium for poop to cold compost in.
cozy.
View attachment 2811457
This looks very cozy. I do have a covered run, but it can still sometimes get damp with rain coming in the sides. Do you find that the wood chips are absorbent, or can they mold when wet? Do you ever clean them out completely, or just keep adding on top? Thanks!

This looks very

cozy.

This looks very cozy. I do have a covered run, but it can still sometimes get damp with rain coming in the sides. Do you find that the wood chips are absorbent, or can they mold when wet? Do you ever clean them out completely, or just keep adding on top? Thanks!
The wood chips drain pretty well. The chickens scratch around in there and turn them over.
I've never cleaned anything out, just added more chips.
Mind you, they don't spend a huge a amount of time in there. They spend most of their time in their pen. But they do have to get locked into the run when there is heavy snow on the ground.
It was raining when I took the picture I posted so they'd gone in to wait it out.

Back
Top Bottom