Run Top - safest?

Kangasox

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2015
We have a 10x10x6 high run for ducks. Getting ready to cover the top and wondering is 2"x4" wire fencing sufficient for predators at night, or so I need to use hardware cloth? Thanks!

That should be fine over top, along the bottom is typically where they will try to dig under to get into the run, its not a bad idea to burry your fence into the ground a couple of feet to prevent fox and other critters from getting in

Last edited:
That should be fine over top, along the bottom is typically where they will try to dig under to get into the run, its not a bad idea to burry your fence into the ground a couple of feet to prevent fox and other critters from getting in

Ok, Thanks. We have the bottom 3 feet hardware clothed with an additional apron that spreads out, with 12" pavers on top. I just can't bear the thought of losing one because we screwed up.

Kangasox,

My chicken run has a room with corrugated metal on top. Helps to keep cool in the summer, stops it from getting to wet in the winter. I use deep litter method in my outdoor run.

Can you post a pic? I would love to see what the pavers around the coop look like.

Thanks,
Marci

I have 14 gauge 2x4 welded wire for run walls, roof, apron.

Great for hawks, my main concern....would seriously slow down most other day predators-and I'm home most the time, but wouldn't trust it for night protection.
Lock them in the coop, all openings hardware clothed with screws and washers, at night.

I think I will torture myself and do hw cloth after all. And tie in a galvanized panel for some shade and rain protection. We put them up at night in their coop, but want a small, protected run they can go in when we are away this summer. I will try to post a pic later today of the pavers @Motts. I think I saw a pic of someone on here that did it. And then people can chime in on what else I need to tweak for safety maybe. Thanks for opinions!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom