*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Pics
Finally getting around to posting pics of my babies! They will be four weeks old tomorrow, and are all doing so well! All are very lovey, and we still do cuddles pretty frequently. It's so exciting seeing their second set of feathers coming in. I still have no idea what colors most of them will be! Ideas? This was when they were about a week old, on their first trip outside. Already looking very "Runner-ish!" After a big meal a few days ago. Big baby still loves snuggles :) "Hi, Mom! I'm just going to rest my gizzard here on your leg..." At about 2 weeks old...soooo sleepy!
Mine are a little older than your but have pretty much finished feathering out I have two that looked like yours with the yellow stripes they look like this ....

I have my first small flock of runners. 4 white and tan, 2 black and 1 chocolate. They are about 6 weeks old now. I am starting to let them out of their large pen and hoping they will go forage out in the garden. But boy, are they they biggest chickens when it comes to change. After almost a week, they have yet to venture into the garden at all. It is about 20 yards from their pen but they will only go about 10 yds at the most and then just lay in the grass and munch on the clover. I do love how they all run together, up and down the grass. Much like a hockey team!! No wonder they have a team called the Mighty Ducks!! But honestly, are all runners so chicken? And do they get over it eventually?

Ann do they follow you? I wondered if you could bribe them further down with their favourite treats? If not I'm sure they will venture further with time. Mine follow me around the garden. But yet if I walk up to them they sometimes run away. Silly things. Runners are known for being a bit skittish!

Last edited:
I purchased 3 pair of indian runner ducks 3 days ago... 2 mature females laying one egg each..But they have not produced an egg in 3 days... The seller told me it could take a few days for them to adjust to their new environment before they produced eggs again.. Anyone know how long this could take?

I have my first small flock of runners. 4 white and tan, 2 black and 1 chocolate. They are about 6 weeks old now. I am starting to let them out of their large pen and hoping they will go forage out in the garden. But boy, are they they biggest chickens when it comes to change. After almost a week, they have yet to venture into the garden at all. It is about 20 yards from their pen but they will only go about 10 yds at the most and then just lay in the grass and munch on the clover. I do love how they all run together, up and down the grass. Much like a hockey team!! No wonder they have a team called the Mighty Ducks!! But honestly, are all runners so chicken? And do they get over it eventually?
You might try carrying them to the furthest point and then letting them walk slowly back with you. Maybe spend a little time at that spot so they get use to it with you there.

I purchased 3 pair of indian runner ducks 3 days ago... 2 mature females laying one egg each..But they have not produced an egg in 3 days... The seller told me it could take a few days for them to adjust to their new environment before they produced eggs again.. Anyone know how long this could take?

It could take a week maybe. You can do things to help like making sure they are on the same food as before and have roughly the same routine, the same bedding, maybe give them some treats?

We took our baby runner ducks down to the lake for the first time today. We had to place them in the lake twice before they decided they loved it! We kept them in the shallow area since they still don't have their big boy and girl feathers yet. We had to go in to get them out to get them home! I am glad they enjoyed the outing.

Hehe, it's funny you had to retrieve them! Considering runners aren't meant to be so much the lovers of water like some are mine can't stay out if it! Anyone else found this?

Back
Top Bottom