*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Pics
Ok, question. I have a female runner duck that is about 22 weeks old. No eggs yet, but I have a rooster(chicken) that is 18 weeks old that is mounting this duck! Is this natural or should I bonk this rooster in the head! Will anything come of this? I just think this is weird! What should I do????

As long as the duck doesn't get hurt you can let the rooster have his fun...nothing is ever to come out of this
wink.png

And the only way to make the rooster stop would be to seperate him from the duck. I don't think that beating him would teach him not to mount this duck when you are not around.

As long as the duck doesn't get hurt you can let the rooster have his fun...nothing is ever to come out of this
wink.png

And the only way to make the rooster stop would be to seperate him from the duck. I don't think that beating him would teach him not to mount this duck when you are not around.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that I would actually beat him or hit him or anything like that.....I can see why you would think that with the way I phrase it. I would however, maybe, shoe him away. Or even rehome him if he was a weirdo.....but I love my little flock family! Thanks for letting me know nothing would become of the mating! I was sitting here trying to imagine some half duck/half chicken babies! hahhahahah!

Hi everyone, yesterday we added 2 indian runner ducks to our flock of chickens, the ducks simply sit in the corner of their coop after being shooed in at night, and won't feed. Today they did the same all day until we shooed them outside, they ate a lot of grass in the garden but i'm worried in case they'll starve. The chickens don't bully them or anything, is this normal?

welcome-byc.gif

Depending on how they were raised and fed, could be a number of things.

One is the trauma of being moved - they may be in semi-shock.

The other is, how were they fed? What kind of feed, what kind of container, what kind of schedule?

What was their other flock like, or did they have one?

Have they ever seen chickens?

Are there other animals at your place?

They need to feel safe. And that takes time. Try offering some thawed frozen peas or other treat (see the Stickies for suggestions on treats). Just place it near them and sit where they can see you. And chat. Ducks know that predators are silent, friends make soft friendly noises.

:welcome

Depending on how they were raised and fed, could be a number of things.

One is the trauma of being moved - they may be in semi-shock.

The other is, how were they fed?  What kind of feed, what kind of container, what kind of schedule?

What was their other flock like, or did they have one?

Have they ever seen chickens?

Are there other animals at your place?

They need to feel safe.  And that takes time.  Try offering some thawed frozen peas or other treat (see the Stickies for suggestions on treats).  Just place it near them and sit where they can see you.  And chat.  Ducks know that predators are silent, friends make soft friendly noises.

What is "the stickies "

My runner Cocoa Puff loves the water....BUT she cant seem to grasp the concept of stepping on the cement block to get in. So I have to put her in. Then she cant get out. So I have to stay with her until she lets me know she has had enough. Silly duck!

Back
Top Bottom