*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Hi everyone, I am a first time runner duck owner...well soon to be duck owner. I have 10 eggs (6 runner, 2, cayuga, and 2 buff) in my incubator and a few have started to pip their shells. Just wondering what your experiences have been with how long it takes to completely hatch. Its almost the end of my 28th day & they seem to be taking their sweet time. Thanks for any advice/input. -Kyra
There's no telling how long it will actually take. I've had eggs pip and finally hatch 24hrs or more later. Be patient and they'll come. Good luck and be sure to post baby pictures :)

They do take their time. Did you read the waterfowl hatching sticky? Humidity is critical. I am not a hatcher, but I have read there are some differences between duck and chicken hatching.

Thanks so much! Now I see how it works, lol. I thought I had to post photos of my Runners as an initiation.
Of course I will when they arrive. I am so excited to get them! In the meantime, I will enjoy everyone else's posts.
Thanks again for your welcoming reply.

They do take their time.  Did you read the waterfowl hatching sticky?  Humidity is critical.  I am not a hatcher, but I have read there are some differences between duck and chicken hatching.

I hatched out a bunch last year and really didn't do much different. The temp are the same but you should have your humidity higher, especially for lock down. I keep mine around 45% until day 18 and then 65% or so for lock down. That's just how I do it, it may not work for someone else though.
The last batch I had in the Rcom died. Power went out while we were at work and they got down to 55° for about 6 hours. Lost all but one of 18.

Finally started hatching this morning on day 30!
0.jpg

I hatched out a bunch last year and really didn't do much different. The temp are the same but you should have your humidity higher, especially for lock down. I keep mine around 45% until day 18 and then 65% or so for lock down. That's just how I do it, it may not work for someone else though.
The last batch I had in the Rcom died. Power went out while we were at work and they got down to 55° for about 6 hours. Lost all but one of 18.
interesting. I've been keeping my bator dry (just the natural humidity from the eggs. It has been running around 55% My room humidity is closer to 35-40. I then raise the humidity for hatch but as long as my bator is full of eggs there is no way to get less than 50% humidity for me. Do you also do the same? No water addition until lock down?

interesting. I've been keeping my bator dry (just the natural humidity from the eggs. It has been running around 55% My room humidity is closer to 35-40. I then raise the humidity for hatch but as long as my bator is full of eggs there is no way to get less than 50% humidity for me. Do you also do the same? No water addition until lock down? 

Just the opposite. Our house is dry, we heat with wood pellets. If I try to dry hatch, both of my incubators will get down around 15%. I have to keep water in them to keep the humidity up.

Back
Top Bottom