*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

I've heard that your not supposed to give them medicated, because they could get over medicated somehow..
I won't argue too hard one way or the other. I avoided medicated feed, and many people use it with no apparent difficulty.

There is a logic to avoiding anything medicated if the medication is not called for. Also, though I don't fully understand it, I have read that amprolium - the medication that is put in chick starter (I believe that's it) - blocks thiamine uptake in the coccidia. My question is, does it block thiamine uptake in the duckling? I have not read any peer-reviewed material on that, so it remains a question for me.

If the only thing one can get is medicated - well - that's a choice to make. It is much better, I feel, than trying to feed corn or similar, as there is so little nutrient-wise in corn.

Part of the reasoning, also, about ducklings and medicated feed is that they consume their food so much faster than chicks do, so they are getting more of the medication per day.

I won't argue too hard one way or the other.  I avoided medicated feed, and many people use it with no apparent difficulty.

There is a logic to avoiding anything medicated if the medication is not called for.  Also, though I don't fully understand it, I have read that amprolium - the medication that is put in chick starter (I believe that's it) - blocks thiamine uptake in the coccidia.  My question is, does it block thiamine uptake in the duckling?  I have not read any peer-reviewed material on that, so it remains a question for me.

If the only thing one can get is medicated - well - that's a choice to make.  It is much better, I feel, than trying to feed corn or similar, as there is so little nutrient-wise in corn.

Part of the reasoning, also, about ducklings and medicated feed is that they consume their food so much faster than chicks do, so they are getting more of the medication per day.  

We looked into it and a lot of places said don't use it. So we never did lol

Okay I have a question. I have 2 runners that I got as ducklings. The girls will be 7 weeks on Monday. My question is this... At what age are they full grown? One of the girls is a pekin that is just as big as my 2 drakes. Now I know that Pekins mature faster so I know that is why she is so big. I'm just wondering when will the runner girls get to their full size?

I have them fenced off from the drakes. The boys are very randy. I had let the girl out with the boys a week ago. The boys quickly went nuts all over them. The girls were freaked out cause they had no idea why the boys were trying to climb all over them. That is why they are in their own area now till they are bigger and can handle the boys advances. They boys pace around the fence like crazy. I don't have any other older girls so the boys have been not getting along well at times.

I may have to find some older girls to tide them over till the little girls get a little bigger. Not sure that DH is going to like me getting more ducks.
wink.png

i heard today that runners will clear out mice and rats- so am just wondering if they might be a good choice around the farm- we are having mice and rat issues, we have chickens and ducks- but if runners do i'd love an excuse to get some

I put my female runner with my 2 year old boys when she was 6 months old and she hasn't gotten any bigger so I would assume that they are full grown for sure by 6 months of age.

Last edited:
i heard today that runners will clear out mice and rats- so am just wondering if they might be a good choice around the farm- we are having mice and rat issues, we have chickens and ducks- but if runners do i'd love an excuse to get some
I don't think they can eat a rat unless it was a day old and while they can eat a mouse they have a bill that is not efficient in dealing with rodents.

Walt

First night in the duck house! They did fine, but it seemed pretty cold out, probably mid 40's. They were so funny when I let them out. They still wanted to do their normal routine, which is have me sit by their pool while they eat and swim. After that they went under the porch, which is their go to place. I have no idea how I am going to clean up after them under there, maybe a long rake!
I think one is a male, maybe 2 are, pretty sure the smallest one is a female, as she does a soft quacking noise. The largest one is very protective, keeps an eye out on the sky every time a plane goes by. We also have a hawk that has been flying high above the neighborhood. Very worrisome! I have 2 big dogs that are out all of the time, so hopefully they will keep the hawk away.

My baby Ruby. She is two weeks old. I have noticed a difference in her voice over the past few days so I'm hoping it means she is a girl :D

Back
Top Bottom