*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

This is them at 7 weeks

Teeheehee, they are sooooo cute :)

We have two 3 month old Runners. My sister suggested naming Tinkerbell and Tiger Lily because my daughter is a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) Tinkerbell fan. We have had them since they were one week old and were told they were both females...well, I think they are both boys.

Yup, the names Tinkerbell and Tiger Lily aren't gonna cut it... because they are definitely guys :) You can tell by the sex feather. And also, if they sound kinda froggy and raspy rather than having a clear and loud quack... that's another way to tell that they are male.

How old are they when you can tell by their sex feathers? JJ has a distinct quack and Jace still sounds like he did when we first got him.

Of all the ways to tell gender, my experience has been that the sex feather takes the longest. My two guys finally got their sex feather when they were around 3.5-4 months old. Maybe give Jace another week or so, and by then if there's no quack he's probably a he. In my experience, the froggy male voice takes longer to develop than the quack, but you never know if you just have a late quacker :)

Is there a size difference between JJ and Jace? One of my boys was noticeably larger than his siblings since week 2... but my other boy was about the same size as the girls... so size is not necessarily an accurate way to tell. Also, my fawn and white males have more and darker fawn-colored feathers than the females.

They are both about the same size. Here are videos of the sounds they make. Jace has been sounding hoarse the past 2-3 days and I started to add grit to their food yesterday as I heard that would help wondering if I should I be worried.

This is Jace

0.jpg

This is JJ

0.jpg

We got our first Runner Duck Egg today!!
celebrate.gif
It is the blue green one. I have 3 girls. Loca (Black), Coco (Chocolate) and Luna (Blue). I have read that different color ducks can have different color eggs. Is this true? Seems like single breed would have a certain color, not related to feather color.

Is there a way to figure out who is laying?

My runners lay shades of green and white eggs. Hens in same variety lay different colors. Other breeds were used to create new varieties. That is where the different egg colors come from.

Back
Top Bottom