*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Those are absolutely adorable. We're going to order a few from Metzer Farms and get "assorted runners." I can choose the sex but the color is in the bag. That is fine with me, I like all the colors. Will probably name them "Spare" and "Strike." Would like at least one female.
Are they as flighty and nervous as I hear?

No. Indian Runners can't fly. They may run if you chase them but one animal will let you chase them. Mine are tame and trained. Kenia and Kida the adults come when they are called. I hatched them out though but Runners are docile for the most part so long as you don't chase them. Kenia and Kida have let others pet them and pick them up but when little kids want to chase they run like their tails are on fire.

Mine are neither flighty nor nervous. But if these are your first ducks, it is important you know that the best ratio is one drake (boy) to 3 or 6 or more females. And even then sometimes drakes will pick on a female and hurt or kill her.

Do not panic. It does not happen in every flock. But you need to know that drakes may need to have separate housing and pens from females to protect the females' lives.

I'd sure like to be a member.   I don't have any Runners yet but will be getting some next month.   Could you all tell me a bit about them?    I've read about five books but there is nothing than "out of the duck's bill" information and opinions.

My runner cross is a bit nervous because she was never handled and round many people and she's finally getting over that but she at least started laying eggs so thats a plus

I have four ducks now. One female Pekin (Aflac,) two Khaki Campbell (one drake and one duck,)and one Rouen/Khaki cross. The male (Browning)is having a great time with his gals. I'm trying to make sure there a good ratio of male and female and will separate if necessary. I appreciate the advice. The wisdom of others with more experience is always welcome.

I have been reading the comments about temperament of Runners. There are all types of Runners being posted here, with most being hybrids. This affects the birds temperament ....if they are shorter necked and stockier birds, they seem to be much more mellow than the pure bred Runners with the bottle like body and very long neck. It's kind of like apples and oranges if you try to compare their behavior. The exhibition type will only be calm if they are imprinted from birth. They are all good birds, but you can't really compare much about them other than they have a common name.

Walt

Walt, you make a good point. I have not heard here from Duckyfromoz in a while, she shows Runners. I wonder what her experience is.

Anyway, mine are hatchery quality Runners, but they are Runners. I poured quite a bit of time into socializing them. In my experience, the behavior animals of all kinds is shaped by their experience. At the same time, some just seem to come out of the chute with a more anxious, mellow, energetic or lethargic personality.

Walt, you make a good point. I have not heard here from Duckyfromoz in a while, she shows Runners. I wonder what her experience is.

Anyway, mine are hatchery quality Runners, but they are Runners. I poured quite a bit of time into socializing them. In my experience, the behavior animals of all kinds is shaped by their experience. At the same time, some just seem to come out of the chute with a more anxious, mellow, energetic or lethargic personality.

I have raised and shown Runners for over 40 years. They are shown as above in a ring so that the judge can judge their movement and station. I don't want mine tame, but I do want them about half as crazy as they normally can be.....so a judge can stand this close without them going nuts. If they imprint on you at birth and you raise them by hand they are extremely friendly and will follow you like a dog would that is trained to heel. They are a very difficult duck to show....and that's why I like them. In addition they are egg machines. They outlay every chicken on the place and I have over 500 chickens here.

Walt

Awesome runners @fowlman01 !

Mine are broader, heavier and don't stand so upright... like a lot of other folks' on this thread. The curve from forehead to bill is also not as rounded. Is the different appearance just because mine are probably not purebred? Or am I feeding them too much, ha!? Out of curiosity, where do you find purebred Indian Runners?

I have raised and shown Runners for over 40 years. They are shown as above in a ring so that the judge can judge their movement and station. I don't want mine tame, but I do want them about half as crazy as they normally can be.....so a judge can stand this close without them going nuts. If they imprint on you at birth and you raise them by hand they are extremely friendly and will follow you like a dog would that is trained to heel. They are a very difficult duck to show....and that's why I like them. In addition they are egg machines. They outlay every chicken on the place and I have over 500 chickens here. Walt
Beatuiful ducks! In your opinion ado you think hatchery runners just low quality or mixed? I think most of use have hatchery runners which explains why they are not like your show quality runners.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom