*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

She seems to be getting more wobbly. She is eating & drinking, but just getting bumped alot. I was thinking of seperating her to a seperate box w/in the brooder with t/rest.
She may just need more developing time since she is the smallest of the bunch?
What do u think? Please reply!
I was also thinking of giving some hard boiled egg (protein), to see if this would give her strength?

She seems to be getting more wobbly. She is eating & drinking, but just getting bumped alot. I was thinking of seperating her to a seperate box w/in the brooder with t/rest.
She may just need more developing time since she is the smallest of the bunch?
What do u think? Please reply!
I was also thinking of giving some hard boiled egg (protein), to see if this would give her strength?

Try separating her and see how she does that way. It sounds like she can't compete with the others yet.

Walt

Thanks for ur reply. I seperated her & she is scared. There is no food & water in the box, i will let her out every 1/2 hour for food & water, or get a bigger box. I was thinking the less movement (smaller box) would be good, yes/no? Or bigger box w/her own food & water? I think the later sounds more appropriate & maybe put one duckling w/her??

Thanks for ur reply. I seperated her & she is scared. There is no food & water in the box, i will let her out every 1/2 hour for food & water, or get a bigger box. I was thinking the less movement (smaller box) would be good, yes/no? Or bigger box w/her own food & water? I think the later sounds more appropriate & maybe put one duckling w/her??

Can she see the others? That would ease some of her worry. Do you have a small see through plastic tote you could put her in? I would put food & water in with her & maybe add some vitamins to her water like those Sav-a-chick electrolytes that you can get at the feed store, or maybe some Nutri-drench.

Generally, folks use either brewer's yeast or niacin in their water or sometimes a poultry vitamin with electrolytes.

I think one can overdo it on the supplements especially if they are getting a good starter crumble (or moistened pellets).

Have they had a warm bath (no soap) yet? Just enough 90F water to stand in - just up to their bellies for about 5 minutes.

Are her nares plugged up? If she is energetic, she may just have a stuffy "nose." Be alert, they can get respiratory infections - and then a good vet would be the best help.

A head washer with water that has a little apple cider vinegar in it (a teaspoon ACV per quart of water) might be a good thing. ACV is a natural antimicrobial and tonic.

No, she cant see t/others, in t/cardboard box. I put her in there w/a towel to dry her off, i gave her a light bath (her bottom & she had dried mash on her head.
I do have a clear tote, i like that idea. I also set up another tote w/food & water in another room where i have 2 baby chickens (WCBP). I was going to put the runt duckling in the seperate prepared tote (heat, food & water) w/another duckling, for company!? It is smaller & she wont have to run so far, because the brooder i have all the ducklings in is 6' long, that is alot of running back n' forth for food & bed.
She seems to be doing better already since she rested alone & now is back w/t rest of her flock & has been resting.??

Bigger box, food with fresh water, head washer, and a buddy.

Did everything u suggested except for t/ nose/face wash, so far. Will do the face wash right now & give the whole flock a bath too. I put her in a tote w/one buddy in seperate room (setup available), & they are both CRYING & not happy, seems like this is more stress on both of them?!?
When u say "nares" i think u mean nostrils??

They loved t/bath, they looked like little tadpoles darting around t/water. There all dried off & resting. The 2 that are seperate r not too happy, however, but resting. The runt (aka - hopper) is breathing well. I'll keep u'all posted on her recovery. Thanks all, xoxo

Back
Top Bottom