*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

P.S. my 2 f/w hens r broody, & their eggs r not fertile so i added some chicken eggs under them. I candled them a few days ago & was uncertain about one BO egg, i put a Q mark on it. The next day i saw my hen running w/it in her bill towards the pool, she dropped right before t/pool & broke it. It's amazing that she knew it was not viable. She still has the other developing eggs. Cool, huh?

P.S. again... i am looking forward to watching her try & get t/chicks in t/pool, that should be funny??

I just today picked up a group of 7 Runner ducklings, about 8 days old! I had ducks when I was a kid, but this is my first time attempting bird husbandry as an adult, so I'm excited but a little nervous ^_^; So far they seem to be doing well, eating and drinking and peeping. They're pretty scared of people, and one of them peeps SO MUCH LOUDER and more often than all the others when they're being nervous.

Little Peepers are slowly, slowly relaxing around us after a couple hours of sitting nearby, talking gently about nothing. Their panicky huddle on the far side of the brood bin got significantly looser, and the peeps got softer and shorter. Dandelion leaf bribery went a long way :D Nobody has a name yet, so we're still referencing them by their markings, but little bits of personality are starting to peek through here and there as they settle in.

Little Peepers are slowly, slowly relaxing around us after a couple hours of sitting nearby, talking gently about nothing. Their panicky huddle on the far side of the brood bin got significantly looser, and the peeps got softer and shorter. Dandelion leaf bribery went a long way
big_smile.png
Nobody has a name yet, so we're still referencing them by their markings, but little bits of personality are starting to peek through here and there as they settle in.

their adorable! i see what looks like 2 blacks, 2 blues, and 3 chocolates in colors....is that right?

Yes! We should end up with a solid blue, a blue with an apron, a black, a black with a bib, a chocolate with a splotchey little hat and eyeliner, a chocolate with nice symmetrical stripes, and a chocolate with just one eyebrow. Stripes is the biggest one, Tiny Hat is kind of runty, and Eyebrow is always the one that stands up and peeps at full volume while everyone else is quietly chatting amongst themselves. Poor Apron gets stepped on constantly (mostly by Black and Bib, since they seem to be the most skittish of the bunch), and Blue is the only one that's almost always looking at us while we're hanging out. ♡

Bad news has been heading my way. My town has decided that ducks are illegal and my heart is breaking! I have no friends or family that can/will take them for me and I don't want to get rid my babies! I hate this.

Back
Top Bottom