*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

SHE'S HERE, AT LEAST ONE IS!!!
celebrate.gif

One hatched. I took a pic but it came out blury, and i didn't want it to get cold. mama is keeping her warm she was a little wet. it is dark, probably a blue runner... a few more will be her later tomorrow.
YA!! MY/THEIR FIRST GENERATION THEY HATCHED ON THEIR OWN.
this is eggciting
highfive.gif
Awesome Congrats!!

Today I harassed a quacker. . . she didn't seem to notice.
lau.gif
I let the ducks out and went to collect eggs from the nest boxes. Turned out their was a fawn/white runner busily laying an egg. I went outside the pen and stood under the eaves in the pouring rain for about 5-6 min. while she finished her business. Then I stole her egg and added it to by stash for incubation.
yesss.gif

That's funny. So... I'm trying to get eggs to incubate from a particular pair. But the girl's feathers aren't as waterproof as they should be (baaaad me I washed her with shampoo once six weeks ago and she hasn't recovered). I can't let her go in the pond. I put the two in the tub with warm water so they could do the deed. They went at it before I could leave. I guess I'm harassing ducks too!
gig.gif

@amiga @miss lydia @lacrystol
this is my f/w there is another one in there, there are 2 f/w/ nesting side by side.
this is my blue runner & a buff o side by side
this is my 2 buff O's side by side

I have 2 f/w runners sitting on eggs, ONE pipped this morning and should be zipping this moment, as i am typing.
my Q is: will the other broody ducks kill each others ducklings? they are all in the same duck house?
I also have 5 other ducks that sleep in the same duck house with these 6 broody ducks.
my drakes are in a different pen and different sleeping quarters.
To me it looks like they are going to SHARE the hatching. LOL One will take the kids away the other will finish the job. Once they all hatch it would not shock me if ONE mommy took all the babies. LOL. The second mommy will probably just let her. LOL

@amiga thank you. i will keep an eye on them. i have fensing on hand, kiddie pools, dividers, etc. i could set up quickly if there is any fighting/killing going on.
someone told me the other day that different breed of duck will kill the other breeds ducklings. since i have the blue runner and the buff side by side, i was wondering about those two. to me, if they are side by side, i would think (?) they would protect and mother each others ducklings??? just a thought.
I don't think I would stress to much, I would leave them alone as much as possible and let them finish the job. One Mommy will probably end up taken all the kids and leave the other momma hanging. but for right now you just need them to finish doing there job and hope that all the babies make it out.

I would watch for incommers, any one that comes near them, there maybe a problem but if they are alone, I would just let them be..

I'm looking into finally getting some runner ducks this year, I will prob need to order them online since I've never found any locally. Do any of you have runner ducks from an online hatchery? If so which one? Never ordered from a hatchery before and no clue who has good quality runners. I've read one post about getting runners that don't stand up straight as they should from one specific hatchery, now I'm nervous about ordering! Thanks

Don't know what part of the country you are from, Overrun With Chickens, but I live in South Carolina and ordered ducks from across the country from Holderread Farm in Oregon. They arrived in good shape and I am very pleased with their quality, as well as with customer support. I was pleased with how the ducklings were packed. I ordered ten, got two extra in the box, then lost two the second week - and ended up with ten healthy grown ducks!

I highly recommend overnight shipping. One duckling arrived very dehydrated, and if I had chosen two day shipping she would not have made it. They were shipped in the evening and I received them at 9:30 the next morning. She was much weaker than the rest, and acted a bit strange (due to dehydration). She drank a ton, and within an hour was running around normally. She has been very strong and healthy ever since (see picture of Petit Pois below). I think overnight shipping was the best investment I could have made. I know a few other people who did not choose, or were not offered, overnight shipping have had bad experiences. If I had to order again, I would only do so from a place that offered overnight shipping.

Now I have purchased an incubator, so my next batch will be home-raised! But I highly recommend Holderread Farm. My order was for one TSQ penciled runner and the rest TSQ assorted rare runners. The ten ducks that survived were: Three penciled, one blue penciled, one apricot penciled (double blue dilution - aka Fawn and White), two trout, one blue trout, one blue dusky, one khaki in the mallard line (head stripes as a baby, white under wings, chestnut on his chest as an adult - aka nutmeg?). I was very pleased with the selection and the many different colors. I can tell all my ducks apart easily!

I searched CL and couldn't fine your apricot runners... I found some Saxony, which I am also interested in. they are from Port Orchard, do you know this person? just wondering if you had any info on them?
can you forward your CL ad to me?

This person is selling saxony Ducks
Not Indian runner saxony

Back
Top Bottom