*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Ugh, I know! They came out looking just the same! Ezri's brown parts are little redder, and she has spots on the back of her bead, where Impa's brown parts are more tan, and she just has one band across the back of her head. They're both full-time ditzes
big_smile.png

Zoe and Wednesday ended up looking really similar as well, once Zoe grew up! I can only tell them apart by checking for Wednesday's black and white back patches! Too many twins!
If the differences are that subtle, take it from me (I have Tella and Ettie - sisters from the same hatch) band at least one. When they moult, some of those things change... (Ettie has a small white spot on her chest that Tella doesn't - but it is only there in fall plumage - not in spring. Ettie's bill is oranger than Tella's unless they are laying, then they are both black. Ettie's face is half a shade lighter then Tella's but because lighting isn't the same all the time, you can only tell if they are side by side.) We banded Ettie. I can tell them apart without the band but it takes an examination or fairly quickly if they are side by side. If one falls off something by her self then shoots across the lawn, I can't tell without the band which one it is, and if later one is limping, I wouldn't know if it was the same one that fell.

Hi all!
I am new here and new to ducks. I have been wanting to get a pair of ducks. Based on looks alone I really like the crested duck and the Indian runner duck. I want these ducks for eggs but mostly as pets. I have a small child and neighbors so I wanted some opinions on the Indian runner duck. How loud are these guys and how do they interact with people? I have been doing my research but I wanted opinion from people that own this breed.
Thank you!

Hi all!
I am new here and new to ducks. I have been wanting to get a pair of ducks. Based on looks alone I really like the crested duck and the Indian runner duck. I want these ducks for eggs but mostly as pets. I have a small child and neighbors so I wanted some opinions on the Indian runner duck. How loud are these guys and how do they interact with people? I have been doing my research but I wanted opinion from people that own this breed.
Thank you!
@kaitling Welcome to BYC lets see if any Runner folks are on to help, @CyndiD or

@Amiga

Hi I'm on my second year of chickens and I'm going to get three runner ducks along with some more chickens and three khaki Campbell's
I will be getting my ducklings in May I can't wait!:D
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to raise them?
Thank u!

0.jpg

The Runners make happy chatter when first released from their pen. From then on, they are fairly quiet as long as they have food and water. If they hear my voice, they will call out to me.

I love them.

I used Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, and the Duck Forum for advice for the Runners. Since then, Kimberly Link has published The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook. I like that one, too, since the Second Edition has 200 pages of health and medical-related information and illustrations.

Last edited:
Hi I'm on my second year of chickens and I'm going to get three runner ducks along with some more chickens and three khaki Campbell's
I will be getting my ducklings in May I can't wait!
big_smile.png

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to raise them?
Thank u!
Welcome to BYC @chicken4little here is some great info on raising ducklings.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 Be sure to post pics when they arrive..

Hi everyone! I'm a chicken lady who's recently made the jump to ducks. My husband brought some home from the feed store. Big surprise! Luckily I had a brooder set up for some chick's I'm getting next week. I'm fairly certain we have 7 runners and one crested sort. If anyone has a positive ID for me that would be cool. I can get better pics this arvo if needed. Thanks! Any other advice is welcome too...
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi Kaitling!

I recommend runner ducks. They are amazingly funny and endearing. As for noise - the drakes can't make any noise other than a soft quack. My drakes talk fairly often, but it makes very little noise, so that's not an issue. My girls are generally quiet. If I bring one out she may call to her friends once or twice just to find them. After that they are quiet. On the positive side, when I can't find one of my girls, I call out to her and usually she answers, so I can find her. If they are out of food, for example, they will be quiet until I come out of the house, but then they call to me so I know they need something. I am personally enchanted by their graceful stance when they stand straight - and as I watch in awe, one might trip and fall, or do something equally silly, which makes me laugh. Of course I'm biased, since I have runner ducks. I think they are the very best ducks in the world.

Crested ducks can have neurological issues. A portion of their brain is not covered by their skull. If bred to another crested duck, there will be major issues with about a quarter of the babies who are unlikely to live. They are delicate in that their brain is not well protected in that area; they can only be bred to a gentle drake... Other than that, I don't know so much about them, but I suggest you do research before taking one home.

I know you will find just the right ducks to take home!

Back
Top Bottom