*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Not "need". Just me personally, I love the way runners interact. One runner would probably be just as happy within a flock whether there was another runner or not, but to me it would be like a pretty aquarium with one Neon.
wink.png

We had one runner in a mixed flock at one point and she did just fine. Once we got other runners though, she started hanging out with them and she's really opened up more personality-wise. She used to never quack and now she does some. In fact, funny thing is since we added the other runners last summer, many of our quieter ducks have now found their voices and personalities more now.

I've found runners to be very nurturing and "innocent" and playful. Maybe that has something to do with them helping the others open up.

We had one runner in a mixed flock at one point and she did just fine. Once we got other runners though, she started hanging out with them and she's really opened up more personality-wise. She used to never quack and now she does some. In fact, funny thing is since we added the other runners last summer, many of our quieter ducks have now found their voices and personalities more now.

I've found runners to be very nurturing and "innocent" and playful. Maybe that has something to do with them helping the others open up.
Thanks for that insight. I went from 4 Runners to 2 (raccoon
sad.png
) and back to 4. They spend about half their time being Runners and half being flock ducks. I have always suspected that 2 Runners was more than double one Runner, but since I have never had just 1, I didn't KNOW...

Thanks for that insight.  I went from 4 Runners to 2 (raccoon :( ) and back to 4.  They spend about half their time being Runners and half being flock ducks.  I have always suspected that 2 Runners was more than double one Runner, but since I have never had just 1, I didn't KNOW...

Oh no! I'm so sorry :(

Last edited:
Oh no! I'm so sorry :(

This was almost 2 years ago. We lost Belle and Ebony. After a bit we got Noir and Mystique to bring us back to 4. We still miss them but the pain is mostly gone. I was just noting that we never had a single runner. Sorry if you thought we lost them recently.

This was almost 2 years ago. We lost Belle and Ebony. After a bit we got Noir and Mystique to bring us back to 4. We still miss them but the pain is mostly gone. I was just noting that we never had a single runner. Sorry if you thought we lost them recently.

I did think that! I'm still sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you've had time to heal.

I wonder if a single runner would get all cocky because they're taller than everyone else? But then can't follow through with it because they're comparatively easy to tip over, so the other ducks just say "whatever, you ridiculous bowling pin, you're not the boss of us"

I did think that! I'm still sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you've had time to heal.

I wonder if a single runner would get all cocky because they're taller than everyone else? But then can't follow through with it because they're comparatively easy to tip over, so the other ducks just say "whatever, you ridiculous bowling pin, you're not the boss of us"

Haha. That's funny.

I know most of my flocks pecking order. Two of the Runners, Dove and Noir are at the bottom. Dove is happy to be there and everyone loves her. Noir seems to transgress more and gets warning pecks quite a bit. The other two runners are higher up. Mystique is about half-way up the ladder, and Entie (the smallest duck in the flock) is in the top third. I think Entie holds a tie with Rhiannon because they are always mounting each other and it goes both ways and they will both lay out flat for the other one so it doesn't seem like they care who is higher between the two of them. But the same ducks are below and above them in the pecking order.

Hilarious!!! I love the bowling pin description. That's exactly what they look like to me too. Our Swedish Blue also looked like a bowling pin before her big girl feathers came in & her shape changed... I think that's one of the reasons I'm so drawn to a Runner.

We live in suburbia & have to keep all of our 'Animal Math' in lower digits & make considerations for noise, which means we really have to think things thru before we can jump in.Thanks everybody for all of your input & stories. Your variety of experiences are more helpful than you can imagine!

I know most of my flocks pecking order. Two of the Runners, Dove and Noir are at the bottom. Dove is happy to be there and everyone loves her. Noir seems to transgress more and gets warning pecks quite a bit. The other two runners are higher up. Mystique is about half-way up the ladder, and Entie (the smallest duck in the flock) is in the top third. I think Entie holds a tie with Rhiannon because they are always mounting each other and it goes both ways and they will both lay out flat for the other one so it doesn't seem like they care who is higher between the two of them. But the same ducks are below and above them in the pecking order.
My runner drake Oliver is kind of co-leader of the flock, but its only because of his wife Dory, the biggest duck in the flock! She scares everyone away, so they know if they attack Oliver, Dory will get them.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom