*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

They are on a waterfowl starter and I've been adding brewers yeast just to be safe. They do run back and forth in short bursts. They are 8 days old today.oh and yes. Food and water 24hrs a day

Do yours like to rest back on their knees or fully lie down? I was concerned with ours when they were babies because they liked to just set their butt down and sit like a person almost with their feet stretched out. It was cute and funny. But ours turned out just fine.

As long as they can get up and run normally for short intervals, they are probably fine. In their first week ducklings can grow by as much as 35% of their body weight in a DAY!!!. That is a LOT of work so they need to rest and sleep a lot. But they should be energetic and able to get around during their "up" time. Their environment helps some too. If you are in an area where they can go outside in a big (compared to their brooder) pen for a while (supervised of course) they will run around more and develop their muscles better than if they are in a small area and can just go back and forth in their brooder. (This will apply more as the ducklings get bigger and the brooder becomes "smaller".)

On the other hand if their legs are shaky and they have a hard time standing, you might want to make sure that they are getting all their nutrients and maybe more opportunities for exercise.

Last edited:
My hatch is underway. 40 eggs in the bator and 9 hatched so far. Many more pipped. I'll be asking for help identifying colors. It promises to be a great hatch if only I could relax! The oldest hatchling hatched 24 hrs ago and they are all still in the bator. I believe I can leave them in there up to 48 hrs posthatch? Is that right?

I gave them a small dish of dirt and short grass (which they threw all around the brooder), a mirror, and some jingly cat ball toys.

[COLOR=0000FF]✭ Hey all! Runner duck lovers, come hang here! Talk everything runner duck! ✭[/COLOR]

●[COLOR=0000FF]Members[/COLOR]●

▸ D[COLOR=FFFF00]u[/COLOR]c[COLOR=FFFF00]k[/COLOR]L[COLOR=FFFF00]o[/COLOR]v[COLOR=FFFF00]e[/COLOR]r[COLOR=FFFF00]2[/COLOR]3[COLOR=FFFF00]9[/COLOR]9

▸ Galgo98

▸ [COLOR=008000]Amiga[/COLOR]

▸ [COLOR=800080]AnimalPro24[/COLOR]

▸ [COLOR=FF0000]Featherfinder[/COLOR]

▸ [COLOR=FFA500]Duckyfromoz[/COLOR]

▸ Suzi

▸ [COLOR=FF0000]WestKnollAmy[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]●[/COLOR]Wish to be Members[COLOR=0000FF]●[/COLOR]

(None yet)
please add me to this club. Thx! ; )

As long as they can get up and run normally for short intervals, they are probably fine. In their first week ducklings can grow by as much as 35% of their body weight in a DAY!!!. That is a LOT of work so they need to rest and sleep a lot. But they should be energetic and able to get around during their "up" time. Their environment helps some too. If you are in an area where they can go outside in a big (compared to their brooder) pen for a while (supervised of course) they will run around more and develop their muscles better than if they are in a small area and can just go back and forth in their brooder. (This will apply more as the ducklings get bigger and the brooder becomes "smaller".)

On the other hand if their legs are shaky and they have a hard time standing, you might want to make sure that they are getting all their nutrients and maybe more opportunities for exercise.
Stupid question but: I have my enclosure mostly done (as in they can go outside now in the day time, but I couldn't leave them in at night) But...they don't particularly like me. They're fine as long as I'm not trying to grab them. :-( I tried to handle them as much as possible when they were younger. It just didn't seem to help any. They are 3 and 2 weeks old today. And I feel that ship has sailed, unfortunately. I'd LOVE to take them outside in the daytime. They haven't even had their first swim yet! We took so long to get the enclosure up because the weather has been awful. Basically, I don't want to stress them out anymore than I have to by corning them to take them back inside. Any suggestions?

My 2 month old Indian Runner duck ran away!
1f623.png

He was living in the chicken coop but had his own sleeping box. The chicken run is electric fence and the chickens don't escape, but apparently the duck was immune and must have slipped under the fence. He was in his sleeping box when I left for work and now he is gone :(

Is it possible he will return? I looked under all the bushes and all over the yard but didn't even hear quacking. He was too young to fly and I saw no sign of struggle or feathers, and it was broad daylight, so I am not thinking it was a predator.

Anyone have this happen? Any advice on getting him back?

Back
Top Bottom