*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Ok... I'm back, so I'll answer some questions.
Drake only flock- well I used to have a drake only flock of 7. They were fine with each other, and swam together. During spring, (I had 4 pekins 2 rouens and 1 KC) they split up and chased each other. They tried mating each other and would pull each other's feathers out. I got rid of some, and now I'm down to 4 drakes and I got 4 females. (Magpie, Runners, and CO) and I'm rehoming the rest of my drakes to a nice place soon and getting more rarer breed females. Smaller drake only flocks are better, so you should be fine.

This is MIKO. SHE has taken over the night shift on garden my ducks. She has been working hard ever since Henry got killed. Just thought I would share. She is doing a darn good job. She is worn out.

How sweet. Its amazing how seriously they take their jobs. Our dogs are inside dogs and don't come in contact with our ducks directly--they're retrievers so I would be nervous due to their breed--but they do an excellent job watching over the flock and warn us if they hear anything near the coop from inside. More than once, they've woken us up in the middle of the night and when we go look, there will be a coyote near the coop.

Ok... I'm back, so I'll answer some questions.
Drake only flock- well I used to have a drake only flock of 7. They were fine with each other, and swam together. During spring, (I had 4 pekins 2 rouens and 1 KC) they split up and chased each other. They tried mating each other and would pull each other's feathers out. I got rid of some, and now I'm down to 4 drakes and I got 4 females. (Magpie, Runners, and CO) and I'm rehoming the rest of my drakes to a nice place soon and getting more rarer breed females. Smaller drake only flocks are better, so you should be fine.

Did they ever go back to harmonious living after that or did you get rid of them soon after they started acting like this? We have 7 drakes together and one of them is a hormone machine (the KC). He's targeted one of the younger one year old WH drakes recently and won't leave him alone now. I don't want to rehome them because the KC would not be a very good breeding duck, although he is a very good caretaker of the females. He overmates them though and that's a problem.

How sweet. Its amazing how seriously they take their jobs. Our dogs are inside dogs and don't come in contact with our ducks directly--they're retrievers so I would be nervous due to their breed--but they do an excellent job watching over the flock and warn us if they hear anything near the coop from inside. More than once, they've woken us up in the middle of the night and when we go look, there will be a coyote near the coop.
a coyote would scare me to death. I would never sleep. I would be out with miko keeping a eye on things. When the ducks are in the coop. Miko takes over the run I guess you call it. She seems to be fine with the job I gave her. She is a inside dog too but she loves the outdoors and protecting her family is in her blood. This is fairly new thing for her and she gets paid in roast beef.
1f606.png

Last edited:
a coyote would scare me to death. I would never sleep. I would be out with miko keeping a eye on things. When the ducks are in the coop. Miko takes over the run I guess you call it. She seems to be fine with the job I gave her. She is a inside dog too but she loves the outdoors and protecting her family is in her blood. This is fairly new thing for her and she gets paid in roast beef.
1f606.png

I'm sure she likes roast beef. :) They always like incentives. Ours enjoy eating some scrambled eggs and we've told them the eggs come from the ducks and chickens. So they want to make sure they're protected.

We do also have an electric fence around our coop. I know nothing is fool proof but we do our best. It still does freak me out whenever something is that close. We've had a dog break through the electric fence before and start digging under the run to try to get in to our chickens. Luckily, we saw it and scared it away...and then later bought a more powerful electric fence.

Predators are a scary thing...

What kind of dog is Miko, by the way?

Last edited:
I'm sure she likes roast beef. :) They always like incentives. Ours enjoy eating some scrambled eggs and we've told them the eggs come from the ducks and chickens. So they want to make sure they're protected.

We do also have an electric fence around our coop. I know nothing is fool proof but we do our best. It still does freak me out whenever something is that close. We've had a dog break through the electric fence before and start digging under the run to try to get in to our chickens. Luckily, we saw it and scared it away...and then later bought a more powerful electric fence.

Predators are a scary thing...

What kind of dog is Miko, by the way?
the vet said she is Catahoula and Australia Sheppard. We found her 2 years ago in the hwy. She was only 4-5 weeks old. I couldn't help myself. She was following the cars that would pass her by and turn and go to the next. I just couldn't let her get ran over and my hubby was nice enough to let me keep her.
This Is a few days After We Got Her To Top HEALTH. Two years ago

Last edited:
the vet said she is Catahoula and Australia Sheppard. We found her 2 years ago in the hwy. She was only 4-5 weeks old. I couldn't help myself. She was following the cars that would pass her by and turn and go to the next. I just couldn't let her get ran over and my hubby was nice enough to let me keep her.
This Is a few days After We Got Her To Top HEALTH. Two years ago

People are so cruel just throwing their animals out like that. I just dont understand it. I can see why you rescued her. She was a cutie--still is. :) Actually, one of our dogs was also a stray who was roaming the streets and we ended up with him. We weren't actually the ones who found him but the couple who did is up in age and couldn't handle a puppy so we took him in. Best decision too. I love my two furry boys and all my animals. :)

Back
Top Bottom