*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Eggtastic.

This red-tailed hawk has been hanging around all summer and seemed to ignore my adult Indian Runner ducks. I let the ducks free-range on the weekends and the hawk left them alone. Then, a few days ago he killed an Indian Runner duck at my friend's house. A few days later he came to my house. I was supervising the ducks closely because of that incident and he came close with a very different attitude; he (she?) clearly knew the ducks were yummy. I was right there and so was my dog, or it would have ended badly.

I then installed bird netting over my dog's kennel run. I put several of my ducks in the kennel run and stayed hidden watching to see what would happen. The hawk came and looked, but then flew off. He (she?) clearly saw the netting and understood it could not reach the ducks.

I'll do some more trials with the bird netting, but it seems to work well. I got a 50x50 foot piece of netting from Amazon for about $50. I've only used some on my dog run, which is about 25 x 30. So I will be able to build more protected spaces with the rest. The netting is nylon and sturdy. The holes are about two inches wide.
41eOJOEzPJL._SY355_.jpg

This red-tailed hawk has been hanging around all summer and seemed to ignore my adult Indian Runner ducks. I let the ducks free-range on the weekends and the hawk left them alone. Then, a few days ago he killed an Indian Runner duck at my friend's house. A few days later he came to my house. I was supervising the ducks closely because of that incident and he came close with a very different attitude; he (she?) clearly knew the ducks were yummy. I was right there and so was my dog, or it would have ended badly.

I then installed bird netting over my dog's kennel run. I put several of my ducks in the kennel run and stayed hidden watching to see what would happen. The hawk came and looked, but then flew off. He (she?) clearly saw the netting and understood it could not reach the ducks.

I'll do some more trials with the bird netting, but it seems to work well. I got a 50x50 foot piece of netting from Amazon for about $50. I've only used some on my dog run, which is about 25 x 30. So I will be able to build more protected spaces with the rest. The netting is nylon and sturdy. The holes are about two inches wide.
41eOJOEzPJL._SY355_.jpg
I'm glad you were around when it came by! I have that netting too, and nothing has ever gotten in.

Hi. Haven't been on here in a long time, but have a question. My ducks have pretty much stopped laying. Is it a daylight thing like chickens? And, do ducks molt like chickens do? I'm seeing lots of duck feathers in the coop where they stay at night. They go to the lake during the day.

How old are they? How long had they been laying?

When they molt, they rest from egg laying for several weeks. During this time I keep giving them laying feed and some extra protein for the feathers and to build up their calcium stores.

Back
Top Bottom