*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Could be I haven't noticed it on my Runners yet .  Maybe a pic? 

Male pencil..

Yeah one of my drakes has the same thing,I was a tiny bit concerned, but then I thought,it just replacing, he seems perfectly healthy. Correct I guess?

Another data point chiming in... Both of my drakes get this through mating season (Kaine more so than Tevye) and none of my girls get it. This leads me to think it is hormonal (since Kaine is SOOOOOOO much more hormonal than Tevye).

Not sure but mine had the bill peeling bad and then I changed the diet and it's been better. When my drake was younger and on 18% all flock pellets, he sometimes shed large, thick pieces - and they caused problems when they had only partially fallen off and would catch on things. Then I changed my drakes to more scratch and less protein than the girls. Two thirds scratch to one third lay pellets or to a quarter 18% all flock pellets. They occasionally get veggie treats, too. It could be that he simply outgrew the problem, but since the diet change he has never shed more than small, thin pieces.

Last edited:
Not sure but mine had the bill peeling bad and then I changed the diet and it's been better. When my drake was younger and on 18% all flock pellets, he sometimes shed large, thick pieces - and they caused problems when they had only partially fallen off and would catch on things. Then I changed my drakes to more scratch and less protein than the girls. Two thirds scratch to one third lay pellets or to a quarter 18% all flock pellets. They occasionally get veggie treats, too. It could be that he simply outgrew the problem, but since the diet change he has never shed more than small, thin pieces.
Could be. Diet can effect hormones so perhaps that helps. I know in my flock Kaine is much worse than Tevye. Could be because he is a WAAAAAAY more macho duck. Could be he eats more grasshoppers (protein).
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom