*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Some of our runners! I'm new to the breed, but I'm really excited to watch them grow. They people we got them from said they are all blues but the one looks black and idk about the yellowish one.

Duck color genetics is a bit funny. "Blue" is incompletely dominant, it is essentially a black duck with 1 gene for blue.
If you cross two blue ducks, half the progeny will be blue, 1/4 black, and 1/4 silver.
So you may have a silver and a black, if the parents truly were blues.
Personally I find the silvers to be quite pretty.

Here's a pic of an adult silver duck

Duck color genetics is a bit funny. "Blue" is incompletely dominant, it is essentially a black duck with 1 gene for blue.
If you cross two blue ducks, half the progeny will be blue, 1/4 black, and 1/4 silver.
So you may have a silver and a black, if the parents truly were blues.
Personally I find the silvers to be quite pretty.

Here's a pic of an adult silver duck
Reminds me of WH colors a little bit.

My silver can't wait to see what she looks like after molt.

Last edited:
@avess - What pretty runners you have! I'm new to ducks and don't know much about their colors/genetics so I'm not sure how accurate I am...But it looks to me like you have a blue, a black or possibly chocolate it looks a little brown in the picture, and a silver.

That's one of my fawn/whites. In your picture it looks like your little one has a darker beak, which makes me think it's a Silver. Very cool!

On the left is my chocolate boy, he's darker than my chocolate female but still obviously brown. The right is one of my black girls. So how does yours look in natural light? Does it look black or brown? Either way, you have a gorgeous trio there!

Last edited:

Can anyone help me out pls went to collect eggs this morning and seen my female indian runner had this big red sack hanging out it can fit in my hand and its all wattery any help would be greatly apresiacted
I would say a prolapse too. This can be very serious. I personally would take her into a vet. She needs to be kept quiet in the dark so that her egg machine shuts down so she can heal. Here was my ordeal a few months back:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ck-has-a-prolapse-first-time-treatment-for-me Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom