*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

hide.gif
THE STORY OF CELERY - THE GENETIC MYSTERY DUCK

caf.gif
Mallard-colored ducks have head stripes and are white under their wings. Mallard-colored drakes have a reddish chest.

Celery has a Mallard-colored mom - Cinnamon. Cinnamon has head stripes and is white under her wings. She does not have a reddish chest because she is not a drake.

caf.gif
Dusky-colored ducks do not have head stripes, they are colored under their wings, and if they are drakes they do NOT have a reddish chest.

Asparagus (on the far left) is a Dusky-colored drake. He never had head stripes, is colored under his wings, and does not have a reddish chest.

caf.gif
When a Mallard-colored duck is bred to a Dusky-colored duck, the Mallard color is dominant and the baby becomes a Mallard-colored duck or drake.

big_smile.png
I understand! Last year Cinnamon was bred to Dusky-colored Filbert. Her son, Apple (middle left in the above photo) is Mallard-colored. He was born with head stripes, is white under his wings, and has the Mallard-colored reddish chest.

hide.gif
Then Mallard-colored Cinnamon made a baby with Dusky-colored Asparagus. The baby is Celery, the genetic mystery duck.

yesss.gif
Celery was born with head stripes. He still has head stripes (?!).
yesss.gif
Celery is white under his wings like his mom.

big_smile.png
Celery is a drake. He does not quack loudly and just got his curly male feathers a couple of weeks ago! So when his juvenile feathers finish dropping out he will have a Mallard-colored reddish...
barnie.gif
WAIT!!! His juvenile feathers are dropping out!!! Look! The reddish spots in the picture are the brown juvenile feathers which are dropping out faster each day. Under those brown spots is his new chest color - beautiful and shiny and ...PERFECTLY GRAY!!! Just below his beautiful Mallard-colored striped face, and next to his Mallard-colored white underwings...no trace of a Mallard-colored reddish chest. Only a Dusky-colored chest.

somad.gif
AHHHHHHHH! I DON'T UNDERSTAND GENETICS!!!
he.gif

But I do love Celery and his mysterious color!
love.gif

Last edited:
hide.gif
THE STORY OF CELERY - THE GENETIC MYSTERY DUCK

caf.gif
Mallard-colored ducks have head stripes and are white under their wings. Mallard-colored drakes have a reddish chest.

Celery has a Mallard-colored mom - Cinnamon. Cinnamon has head stripes and is white under her wings. She does not have a reddish chest because she is not a drake.

caf.gif
Dusky-colored ducks do not have head stripes, they are colored under their wings, and if they are drakes they do NOT have a reddish chest.

Asparagus (on the far left) is a Dusky-colored drake. He never had head stripes, is colored under his wings, and does not have a reddish chest.

caf.gif
When a Mallard-colored duck is bred to a Dusky-colored duck, the Mallard color is dominant and the baby becomes a Mallard-colored duck or drake.

big_smile.png
I understand! Last year Cinnamon was bred to Dusky-colored Filbert. Her son, Apple (middle left in the above photo) is Mallard-colored. He was born with head stripes, is white under his wings, and has the Mallard-colored reddish chest.

hide.gif
Then Mallard-colored Cinnamon made a baby with Dusky-colored Asparagus. The baby is Celery, the genetic mystery duck.

yesss.gif
Celery was born with head stripes. He still has head stripes (?!).
yesss.gif
Celery is white under his wings like his mom.

big_smile.png
Celery is a drake. He does not quack loudly and just got his curly male feathers a couple of weeks ago! So when his juvenile feathers finish dropping out he will have a Mallard-colored reddish...
barnie.gif
WAIT!!! His juvenile feathers are dropping out!!! Look! The reddish spots in the picture are the brown juvenile feathers which are dropping out faster each day. Under those brown spots is his new chest color - beautiful and shiny and ...PERFECTLY GRAY!!! Just below his beautiful Mallard-colored striped face, and next to his Mallard-colored white underwings...no trace of a Mallard-colored reddish chest. Only a Dusky-colored chest.

somad.gif
AHHHHHHHH! I DON'T UNDERSTAND GENETICS!!!
he.gif

But I do love Celery and his mysterious color!
love.gif
lol.png
I don't either! Does my favorite little U.S.S.Celery still swim all cute?

:oops: THE STORY OF CELERY - THE GENETIC MYSTERY DUCK :caf Mallard-colored ducks have head stripes and are white under their wings. Mallard-colored drakes have a reddish chest. Celery has a Mallard-colored mom - Cinnamon. Cinnamon has head stripes and is white under her wings. She does not have a reddish chest because she is not a drake. :caf Dusky-colored ducks do not have head stripes, they are colored under their wings, and if they are drakes they do NOT have a reddish chest. Asparagus (on the far left) is a Dusky-colored drake. He never had head stripes, is colored under his wings, and does not have a reddish chest. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] :caf When a Mallard-colored duck is bred to a Dusky-colored duck, the Mallard color is dominant and the baby becomes a Mallard-colored duck or drake. :D I understand! Last year Cinnamon was bred to Dusky-colored Filbert. Her son, Apple (middle left in the above photo) is Mallard-colored. He was born with head stripes, is white under his wings, and has the Mallard-colored reddish chest. :oops: Then Mallard-colored Cinnamon made a baby with Dusky-colored Asparagus. The baby is Celery, the genetic mystery duck. :yesss: Celery was born with head stripes. He still has head stripes (?!). :yesss: Celery is white under his wings like his mom. :D Celery is a drake. He does not quack loudly and just got his curly male feathers a couple of weeks ago! So when his juvenile feathers finish dropping out he will have a Mallard-colored reddish... :barnie WAIT!!! His juvenile feathers are dropping out!!! Look! The reddish spots in the picture are the brown juvenile feathers which are dropping out faster each day. Under those brown spots is his new chest color - beautiful and shiny and ...PERFECTLY GRAY!!! Just below his beautiful Mallard-colored striped face, and next to his Mallard-colored white underwings...no trace of a Mallard-colored reddish chest. Only a Dusky-colored chest. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] :mad: AHHHHHHHH! I DON'T UNDERSTAND GENETICS!!! :he But I do love Celery and his mysterious color! :love
Awesome, poetically written post about your ducks. Loved it. Bonus with the pictures. I am in love. Great names, too. Celery!!!

Not exactly sure on age but about 8 weeks. They only lack their full wing feathers and few around their head. They're quacking and few peeping or very low quacks. If I had to guess at this point I have 3 of each sex. Looks like I'll be ordering some more girls...Lol. And as far as Dawn goes I've settled on Mallard not Rouen way to small. I think my runners are even bigger Dawn.

and now I know why they call them "runner" ducks

going to take a pic of them in their "pool"
camera flash goes off
each one of them does their best impression of Jesse Owens

@ sarkchick It's actually a Mallard, just working those feathers in. That is where the blue square will be once she works the covering off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom