*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Herd them inside especially at night so you don't end up with out any. Predators are looking for anything to eat with their natural prey hiding out on cold days and nights.

My Runners do pretty good but they are closed up at night and during the day they have plenty of places to hunker down out of the cold wind. Being they are tall and on the thin side they do need better protection from the elements.

Last edited:
My experience is that with a pile of deep dry straw at night the ducks will snuggle down when they get cold... and the straw protects their feet to prevent frostbite. (Mine are in a well-ventilated building and my temps have not gone below zero Farenheit).

Update on Cinnamon. The vet says the swelling contains infection. She did a biopsy and says that the hard lump contains white blood cells and bacteria (and tissues). (And no cancer cells - yay!). She prescribed SZM-TMP as an antibiotic to be taken by mouth and Ofloxacin ophthalmic solution to be dribbled one drop into each nostril, each twice a day. She says the prognosis is good.
Hallelujah! Bean had a swollen spot on his bill - was an infection. I gave him oral antibiotics and silver sulfadiazine cream topically - all from the vet. Took a while, but it cleared up well.

How to runners do in the cold?
Its about 15 degrees here this morning, and our ducks are allowed to roam all day and night. I checked on them this morning and my blue runner was shivering! They have a big house with lots of straw, but they seem to not want to go in it. Any Advice?

Each flock, and individuals differ in cold hardiness. I have several Runners who do not do well below 35F. If the duck is shivering, he or she is too cold, and needs a warmer shelter. A.S.A.P.

Hallelujah! Bean had a swollen spot on his bill - was an infection. I gave him oral antibiotics and silver sulfadiazine cream topically - all from the vet. Took a while, but it cleared up well.

At this point Cinnamon is NOT responding to the antibiotics she was given. What antibiotics did your vet prescribe?

Back
Top Bottom