*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

My vet said she could not operate, that it was not an option. I don't know why she said that. But on my end, I see the swelling right under her bill tissue, and I don't see why we can't cut it out. But... I'm not familiar with the anatomy of the upper bill and sinuses. There is a swelling on both sides and the swelling begins under the bill skin and continues into the sinuses which are also swollen.

My worry is that the infection is so close to the brain. To pay for a probably extremely expensive operation, then to have so much pain (I hear bill injuries are very painful) only to have the infection spread to the brain? But if I knew she had a chance... she is healthy other than the bill issue.

The reality is that today she is much worse... her swelling is increasing daily and she can barely breathe.

I am at the point of having to make a euthanasia decision because she is suffering - her inability to breathe is frightening to her. Unless I can fix the breathing I cannot wait. I asked the vet about a breathing tube, (she said that for birds they did a "tracheotomy" into one of the air sacks) but again she said that was not an option in this case.

She did not explain why surgery was not an option, but she is an experienced vet.

Any last minute advice? I have been crying all day.

I don't know what to say, I am sorry... if she was mine and she has no other options, I would try to get it out myself... I did not take a pic before I started on my drake, but in the middle...

20171127_175411.jpg

The white strip right next to his bill is where I made an incision, there is a big vein on the face, but I think it is closer to the eye and right in front of the eye...

20171217_170930.jpg

After swelling went down...

Thank you Ravynscroft and Casportpony - without your input I would not have known which questions to ask and might have euthanized my friend (duck) when she still had a chance. She owes you her current happy existence. And thanks for the hug, Ms. Lydia. I have really appreciated everyone's support.

The vet explained, when I asked, that last time she could not operate because the bump was "too hard." Today the bump was "not as hard" and therefore operable. (I had mistakenly understood that an operation was never possible for this problem instead of "not right now." Without your suggestions I would simply have asked the vet to euthanize her.) The vet was kind enough to fit Cinnamon into her tight schedule (she was flying out at 6:00!) and operated. She took out lots and lots of stuff (hard, whitish). Now Cinnamon can finally breathe easy. She does have an infection in her lungs (vet thinks Aspergillosis, maybe), but it's not too bad (says the vet) so there is hope.

Right now Cinnamon is sleeping (which she hasn't done in two days) because she is finally getting enough air to breathe. And I am breathing a lot better, too!

Again, thank you so much, everyone. One duck is alive tonight only because of your suggestions and support.

(Pictures taken two weeks ago when she still felt well.)

DSC03763-n.jpg DSC03744-n.jpg

Thank you Ravynscroft and Casportpony - without your input I would not have known which questions to ask and might have euthanized my friend (duck) when she still had a chance. She owes you her current happy existence. And thanks for the hug, Ms. Lydia. I have really appreciated everyone's support.

The vet explained, when I asked, that last time she could not operate because the bump was "too hard." Today the bump was "not as hard" and therefore operable. (I had mistakenly understood that an operation was never possible for this problem instead of "not right now." Without your suggestions I would simply have asked the vet to euthanize her.) The vet was kind enough to fit Cinnamon into her tight schedule (she was flying out at 6:00!) and operated. She took out lots and lots of stuff (hard, whitish). Now Cinnamon can finally breathe easy. She does have an infection in her lungs (vet thinks Aspergillosis, maybe), but it's not too bad (says the vet) so there is hope.

Right now Cinnamon is sleeping (which she hasn't done in two days) because she is finally getting enough air to breathe. And I am breathing a lot better, too!

Again, thank you so much, everyone. One duck is alive tonight only because of your suggestions and support.

(Pictures taken two weeks ago when she still felt well.)

View attachment 1214322 View attachment 1214326

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! :celebrate :hugs

So very happy for you and Cinnamon!!!
Vet still has her on an antibiotic, yes?

Cinnamon is still on two antibiotics, an antifungal, and a nasal wash (into her nostrils and by nebulizer) to help after her operation. Plus, of course, "cricket" vitamin pills (live crickets). We have been using the nebulizer (with a different medicine until now).

She now gets into the nebulizer bin willingly 'cause there's always two or three crickets jumping around in there...

:ya :ya :ya

Again, thank you very much. I will keep you updated on her progress.

No, Casportpony, I didn't get to watch the surgery. But she showed me the stuff she took out. Wow. There was a lot and she said she didn't bring all of it. No wonder Cinnamon couldn't breathe.

Cinnamon is still on two antibiotics, an antifungal, and a nasal wash (into her nostrils and by nebulizer) to help after her operation. Plus, of course, "cricket" vitamin pills (live crickets). We have been using the nebulizer (with a different medicine until now).

She now gets into the nebulizer bin willingly 'cause there's always two or three crickets jumping around in there...

I am thrilled the vet was able to get her done today! You must be feeling much happier now. :hugs

No, Casportpony, I didn't get to watch the surgery. But she showed me the stuff she took out. Wow. There was a lot and she said she didn't bring all of it. No wonder Cinnamon couldn't breathe.

So glad she got that done! I was worried about her today... :(

Please, do keep us updated! I bet she recovers quite well and quicker than you'd think! :)

Cinnamon continues to do ok - I think. Her nose is swelling up quite badly from her operation so breathing is once again somewhat hard for her. I know this swelling is due to the work done inside her nasal passages. But, surprisingly, she does not seem nearly as concerned as she was yesterday. I think she has figured out mouth-breathing, because when both nostrils plug up she still breathes (which she did not seem to know how to do before).

She is clearly under the weather from her operation. But, in contrast to yesterday before the operation, she does not seem frightened. The last two days before her operation I did not see her lay down. I think she was fighting for every breath. I know she was frightened because each time I took her friend away from her she was terribly upset. She did not want to be left alone.

Now she is spending much of the day sleeping, and her head is tucked normally while she does that. When I take her friend away for a minute she just looks and waits calmly for him to return.

She is drinking but not eating, so I am on my way to buy her some crickets. I had one last one left this morning and she snapped it up.

Back
Top Bottom