*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

20210103_135642.jpg

My little runners laid their first eggs for me. They buried them pretty deep in the wood shavings so I almost didn’t see them. One of them was buried in the middle of the coop, Coco dug it up for me when I grabbed the others. It was like, “Hey, don’t forget this one”. They are now using their nest box. Such good girls.

Attachments

• CB41154A-0C93-4D3F-B628-93D0266AB9C5.jpeg
    CB41154A-0C93-4D3F-B628-93D0266AB9C5.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 2
In case this helps anyone, we have chickens and ducks and when we were installing the duck pond one of our chickens fell in we were right there and were able to get her out before she drowned. Since then, we used fencing to keep them away from it, but my husband came up with this great idea to let the ducks in and out of the area with the pond and keep the chickens out. I call it a duck moat.

it is a cement mixing tub filled with water set into the lawn. Fencing is run down the side and across the middle with some fencing cut out across the bottom so the duck can swim across. The fencing across the middle keeps the chickens from jumping or flying across it.

anyway, I thought we might not be the only ones trying to keep chickens away from an area while still giving the ducks free reign. Oh, added bonus, it’s a fantastic mud hole.
582EF7D4-8444-4532-A41D-930A599A18D0.jpeg C47DCC1D-1B67-4E9D-8219-94D51C7569B0.jpeg

I was wondering if the runner duck community may have an idea about this. I have a unique fawn and white runner. Her breast feathers have finished coming in just recently. Is this a rare coloration? I am really curious to see if any of her feathers are going to be darker brown. So far her wing feathers are pale too.

PXL_20210323_025908655.NIGHT.jpg

I was wondering if the runner duck community may have an idea about this. I have a unique fawn and white runner. Her breast feathers have finished coming in just recently. Is this a rare coloration? I am really curious to see if any of her feathers are going to be darker brown. So far her wing feathers are pale too.

View attachment 2581311
They will become darker after the next molt at about eight weeks of age. Beaks sometimes begin to get green speckles too.

Back
Top Bottom