Runner Duck Not Eating, Sleeping A Lot

thepopcornkernel

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
My runner duck, who is approaching his second birthday next week, has not been eating his pellets and has been sleeping an awful lot with his bill behind his wing. I noticed yesterday that his pellets were not really going anywhere and then this morning his diaper was empty (he lives indoors in a cage most of the time and sleeps in bed with me at night). He has been drinking water fine and I gave him a small bowl of corn this morning and he gobbled that up with no problem. His crop does not feel full and he could not be eating anything else. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that I could try? I'm very worried. He means the world to me.

If possible a vet is the first, best idea.

The list of possibilities is long. So here are my thoughts.

He could be depressed.
He could have an infection - bacterial, viral, fungal.
He could have an internal injury.
He could be having hormone problems.

For any of these, bathtub-swim time for exercise and circulation can help, along with poultry multivitamins with electrolytes and probiotics. Apple cider vinegar, unpasteurized, in water is often used as a tonic.

Take a close look all over. Anything look out of the ordinary, smell out of the ordinary, sound out of the ordinary? Nares clear? Eyes bright? Vent normal?

A nonbreakable mirror can sometimes help if he is feeling blue and lonely as an only duck.

I will go ahead and mention that if he is left alone for long periods, it is quite likely he is depressed. He needs to be with someone all the time. We all have different lives, I understand that, no judgment against you, but if he's alone too much, it could be affecting his health. It probably would depress his immune system.

Some people - the minority - have lives and schedules that enable them to be with their ducks all the time. Those of us who do not have that luxury need to have multiple ducks so they can keep each other company.

Love those ducks!

Thanks for joining us here.

The vets nearby do not offer poultry care. Granted, I'll drive to one if I have to, but I'm just saying that it's not next door.

Everything on him looks normal. He's just standing with one leg up (this is usual) and his bill under his wing most of the time as opposed to playing. He's drinking - and pooping clear slime - but he has not touched his pellets. Although he will eat the corn cut from the cob.

I work from home so I am with him most of the time. The only depression-related thing that I can think of is I found some orphaned kittens and, although they stay outside, I bring them in to bottle feed them a few times a day. He may be jealous after having seen this.

I wonder, should I give him a nice helping of corn or lettuce so that he is at least eating? I could try the apple cider vinegar. I also read about a molasses flush. I'll also give him a bathtub swim - although he just had one a couple of days ago.

The corn is a treat, so if you could try some other treats he might like, just to get him interested.

I wonder if the pellets may be a little off, in his opinion? Might want to check that out.

I suppose he could be jealous. I know the runners don't want to share Romy the buff with Bean the buff drake. oy.

I found a vet and took him there. They checked him out, stuck a swab down his throat and tested for bacteria. Nothing glaring but some slight evidence of bacteria. Next step was a blood test but that's a bit more pricey. Came home with some antibiotic pills that I have to stuff down his throat twice a day with the hope that it might clear up any issues. Got the OK to feed him corn for now to at least give him energy. The corn that he ate this morning passed through and he had some nasty green waste in his diaper by the time we got to the vet.

If anyone else has any thoughts, I would appreciate them. I was advised to eventually find something better than lay pellets to eat as it may be a bit too much protein for him. The people at local feed stores are basically clueless when it comes to ducks - especially ones that are pets as opposed to just poultry. So if anyone has a better diet for their ducks to recommend in the long term, I would appreciate that, too. Thanks in advance...

Back
Top Bottom