Runner Ducks

josh

Songster
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Western Kentucky
My runner duck female is gone. I can't find any feathers or any body parts. I haver 3 left and some scovey ducks. Could she have some eggs and setting on them? She was there Sunday but gone monday.

It is possible she is setting on a nest, but runners are not typically as broody as other breeds. Mine have never sat on an egg for more than a few minutes. Hope I am wrong............
fl.gif

I've had runner ducks disappear and found them days later sitting on eggs. I've even had runners sit through all 28 days of brooding... but unfortunately they have always destroyed the eggs right at the end, so I don't let them sit any more.

Anyway, it's quite possible that's happened and if so, you need to find her as soon as you possibly can. She is extremely vulnerable to predators right now. I had one on eggs and she was so well concealed I decided to leave her alone and try to hatch them. She was fine for three weeks before the fox finally found her and in the morning I found eggs and feathers. I was able to save the eggs, but I am so sorry I didn't save the mama.

It is also possible that a predator took her. When was she lost? Day? Night? Were the others upset? Some predators, like hawks and owls, will take the ducks without sign. Sometimes even foxes will do this. But usually there is some indication. I would take the time to search high and low for her. They tend to like well-protected areas, under bushes, behind hay bales, etc. Good luck! I hope you find her safe and sound and can move her to a safe location.

There is a brush pile up from the lake about 50 yards or so. I will try to crawl up in there and see if she is in there.

I have had one of my Indian Runner ducks missing for 5 days - it is definately a female and despite an intensive search I cannot find any trace of her - I am hoping every night that she will appear but I have only counted 14 over the last 5 nights, I don't know what to think..... maybe she was ill and died somewhere I haven't found, she may be broody sat on a nest somewhere up river ( where I cannot access ) or maybe a predator has despatched her..... I will never stop searching, hoping and wanting her to return to her family... thinking of you!
Suzie

Back
Top Bottom