Runny Nose! Need Help!

Roxyfan

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2015
Recently I have adopted two golden polish, a hen and a rooster which I named Albert and Allison. I've recently noticed that Albert has a runny nose (or runny beak.) I have been giving him duramycin-10 and he still sounds like he has snot in his nose. Could you help me with my problem because I'm planning on showing him in two months and breeding him with Allison in the spring. Thanks!

Does he have any sneezing, eye drainage, or noisy breathing? He could have a respiratory disease, such as MG, infectious bronchitis, coryza, or ILT. I would get him tested since birds with one of those diseases cannot be shown again ever, since they will be carriers. MG can be spread to chicks through the hatching eggs. Antibiotics may help symptoms in some of the bacterial diseases, but won't cure them. If you have other birds, it is really important to get him tested, so that you don't spread something to them.

He does sneeze some and has noisy breathing but only when he is scared or when I pick him up. I don't think I could get him tested but he has been living in a large rabbit hutch with Allison for several waaks now and I've seen no signs of sickness in her. Hope this helps!

You can contact your state vet or local extension agent to get him tested by a nasal swab or blood test. Most shows require some sort of certification or testing before shows. Other chickens can be in danger of catching something, so it helps everyone to know that they won't be bringing home diseases from shows. Chickens with MG (CRD) will always be carriers even if they recover.

Last edited:
I really don't think that I can get him tested, sorry. I live literally in the middle of nowhere and live an hour away from the nearest large city, which is in another state. Do you think I could do anything for him here at home?

I really don't think that I can get him tested, sorry. I live literally in the middle of nowhere and live an hour away from the nearest large city, which is in another state. Do you think I could do anything for him here at home?

If it is viral then antibiotics will only treat secondary symptoms and not the illness itself. Eggcessive is right - if you don't know exactly what he has, and you cannot take him to a vet for confirmation, then you should kiss goodbye to the idea of showing him. Even if you could get away with it, i am sure you would not want to infect other show birds - that would not be cricket at all.

CT

Ok, well then I could look into it. Tbh he could have got it from me now that I think of it. When I got him and his mate, they were both fine. But a couple of days later, I came down with a really bad headcold. I still had to take care of them but tried to keep my head out of the cage. I noticed his noisy breathing a couple of weeks later but it wasnt that bad and it has just recently gotten worse. So then I got worried and researched but found nothing so I started this thread.

Ok, well then I could look into it. Tbh he could have got it from me now that I think of it. When I got him and his mate, they were both fine. But a couple of days later, I came down with a really bad headcold. I still had to take care of them but tried to keep my head out of the cage. I noticed his noisy breathing a couple of weeks later but it wasnt that bad and it has just recently gotten worse. So then I got worried and researched but found nothing so I started this thread.
I'm no doctor, but i'm pretty confident that your cold has nothing to do with that of your chickens.

CTKen is right, chickens don't get our colds, and we don't give them to chickens. Most diseases are species specific, thank goodness.

Ok then, but today I noticed that their feet were peeling. Is it because it's natural or should I put some wood on their wire floor. I did say they were living in a rabbit hutch anyway.

Back
Top Bottom