runt baby chick :(

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your baby!! Let me just say tho, it is SO precious!! My goodness. How pretty! It might just have failure to thrive. But I hope with a little extra TLC that it will catch up on growth soon! I think what I would do is make sure it stays very hydrated. Wether that means dropper feeding it, or whatever you have to do. You could give it a couple drops of poultry nutri-drench or sav-a-chick to give it a little extra boost. Also, I would make up some scrambled egg every morning and give it to it. Raw egg yolk also works, but sometimes that can carry harmful bacteria cause it is raw. Make sure it stays nice and warm, and keep in eye on it with mama. Sometimes the hen can pick on the chick if it is not as healthy as they rest. You are doing such a good job, and keep up the good work! Oh and please, keep us posted!!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your baby!! Let me just say tho, it is SO precious!! My goodness. How pretty! It might just have failure to thrive. But I hope with a little extra TLC that it will catch up on growth soon! I think what I would do is make sure it stays very hydrated. Wether that means dropper feeding it, or whatever you have to do. You could give it a couple drops of poultry nutri-drench or sav-a-chick to give it a little extra boost. Also, I would make up some scrambled egg every morning and give it to it. Raw egg yolk also works, but sometimes that can carry harmful bacteria cause it is raw. Make sure it stays nice and warm, and keep in eye on it with mama. Sometimes the hen can pick on the chick if it is not as healthy as they rest. You are doing such a good job, and keep up the good work! Oh and please, keep us posted!!
aw thank you so much :wee
I will certainly make sure it is hydrated, it loves water so much for some reason! whenever its standing and it sees the water it sprints to the water and starts drinking.
just got it a little teddy to keep it company because as someone suggested, I should keep it in a cardboard box to keep it warm until the weather gets warmer and less rainy and until it grows a little. thanks so much for your kind words, and I will keep you posted :D!

one more thing, it occasionally gets poop on its butt feathers, not pasty butt and it definitely poops fine, ive seen, but it gets hard poop stuck near the bottom of its vent feathers sometimes.
I'm new to chickens so I'm not sure how much I can help. But one of our Brahmas was a bit of a runt. She was always a little smaller than the others and lagged behind in feather growth. She also had a poopy butt problem much longer than the others. All of the Brahmas had more dried poo (none of the Orps ever had any) for the first week, but little runty needed her vent cleaned for a couple weeks long after the others were over it.

They're almost 7 weeks now and runty is catching up. Even her tail feathers are finally catching up in length. Hopefully you're little baby pulls through too!

I'm new to chickens so I'm not sure how much I can help. But one of our Brahmas was a bit of a runt. She was always a little smaller than the others and lagged behind in feather growth. She also had a poopy butt problem much longer than the others. All of the Brahmas had more dried poo (none of the Orps ever had any) for the first week, but little runty needed her vent cleaned for a couple weeks long after the others were over it.

They're almost 7 weeks now and runty is catching up. Even her tail feathers are finally catching up in length. Hopefully you're little baby pulls through too!
thank you so much! im glad your little chick made it :celebrate

Question: I keep the chick the majority of the time warmed up in a little box, but it doesn't have its mum there with it. it cheeps a lot so when I come back from school, (my mum is the only one at home and she does not interact or touch the chickens) I put it outside with the mum. my dad said not to put it outside with the mum even for a bit and keep it in, even though it is completely alone (there's a mirror inside) and cheeps really loudly for the mum. and the mum is outside clucking to see her chick which I assume she can hear from right outside the room. Is that okay for it to be completely alone in a box (whilst cheeping for the mum) and have no access to the mum or its brother and no time outside in the fresh air?

Question: I keep the chick the majority of the time warmed up in a little box, but it doesn't have its mum there with it. it cheeps a lot so when I come back from school, (my mum is the only one at home and she does not interact or touch the chickens) I put it outside with the mum. my dad said not to put it outside with the mum even for a bit and keep it in, even though it is completely alone (there's a mirror inside) and cheeps really loudly for the mum. and the mum is outside clucking to see her chick which I assume she can hear from right outside the room. Is that okay for it to be completely alone in a box (whilst cheeping for the mum) and have no access to the mum or its brother and no time outside in the fresh air?
Can you not put it with it's mama yet?

Back
Top Bottom