Runt chick won't stop chirping!!

annmarie33

Chirping
Jun 22, 2015
I incubated bantam eggs and 11 hatches between day 19-21. I still had one alive in the bator in day 23 and by day 24 decided to help it. I basically had to hatch it myself bc it would not push out of the shell. No yolk or anything. Anyway by this point all the other chicks are 2-3 days old and very lively. I kept it on the bator and then noticed its toes were curled really bad so I but bandaids on his feet so he could stand. Well he can stand but he kinda just sits still and chirps ALL day!! The only one! I keep picking him up and making him drink and earlier I cuddled with him in a washcloth and he was finally quiet. But I can't do that all day! Help! He was born about 36 hours ago. He is very small

My only suggestion is to feed that guy some water with karo, molasses or honey in it, that will get him some fast calories and some sugar to start up his digestive system. Try to dissolve the mix pretty good to prevent any issues with him drinking it, vets do this to small puppies because they are prone to hypoglycemic until they are bigger.

Well it's not much to us, but I would think to a tiny chick the weight and bulk of those bandages might be too much for it to walk! Which would be distressing...thus something to chirp about!

Yes I thought of that but when I take them off he lays sideways and still chirps- he can't walk without the splints- and then all the other chicks peck at him. He does walk with them but won't liven up like the others. Poor little guy. I'm sure he would have died if I hadn't made him hatch. I've tried honey and save a chick but he's still the same. I guess I could give it time and just let him be in there without the splints or do you think since he can't walk the other chicks would hurt him?

Poor little guy, I'd put him in a separate brooder and give him a friend. Keep an eye on him and make sure he's drinking and eating properly and not tipped over on his side. If he's not eating, you could give him some egg yoke, or scrambled eggs mixed with his food. Watching another chick eat will encourage him to eat too. You could put some electrolytes and probiotics along with some apple cider vinegar in the water (2 teaspoons for 1 quart). He's probably very weak from trying to hatch that long, and getting his strength back is the most important thing. I would also give him straight nutri drench with a dropper twice a day (just a few drops in his beak). Make sure the temperature of the brooder is a steady 95 degrees also. :)

Thank you! I have done most of those except the apple cider vinegar. There is another weak chick born the last before him so maybe I'll put those 2 together until they are a little bigger and eating /drinking normal. Thanks for helping!

Well I've had chicks die within a few days old so I'm guessing this might be the case. I came home and both were on their backs and looked dead. I put them both in a kids sock and hand fed them electrolytes etc. the youngest one started standing up again but with its head down. The other who hasn't grown in a few days since it was born is shaking or trembling constantly. I have him in a sock under my shirt. He's not shaking when I do that but when I try to put him in with the others again or take him out of the sock at all he trembles. I'm thinking he will die. All others are fine and eating and drinking. I started corid in the water yesterday just incase. Anyway- I can only do so much I have my real 3 kids crying and wanting dinner. I hope they turn around but not that hopeful

Still not able to stand, shaking, eyes closed and opening mouth over and over without chirping. I still have it in my shirt. I Gave it honey water again and it acts like it doesn't want to drink. Wonder if something is wrong with it's digestive system. I hate when they are born fine and then die a few days later. This one pipped under its air cell and there was a bunch of goo on him. He also had greenish liquid come out of his stomach area once he hatched. Don't know if any of this is related but maybe

Back
Top Bottom