Runt's

micareli

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
We always called the one who was behind in development in a litter the runt...... we have 10 cinnamon queens, 29 silver Wyndottes, 6 weeks old today, 1 silver, is about the same size as some of our 3 week old birds...... no trauma, not being pecked, just a runt.... any ideas

I'm really new to chickens (my pullets are now about 6-7 months old and just started laying), but when the girls were babies I had one blue maran in the bunch (I've posted about this chick before). This beautiful chick started out equal in size then the others started growing and she didn't. She also had fused toes and would walk around with a whiney little peep. When I moved them outside she was the last to feather out, the last to learn how to use the ramp, etc. But, she was the sweetest bird ever and when she finally started feathering out and growing she was beautiful (feathers covered her deformed feet) AND she was the friendliest in the bunch. But sadly, she became a rooster! Since I can't have roos a friend gave her to another friend in a different county.

Back
Top Bottom