Ruptured air vent ? Please help

Mohitn29

In the Brooder
May 6, 2023
Hi all, new BYC member here. We got some chicks few weeks ago and one of my silkies/showgirl is swelling up like a balloon on the back right side of their body.
I read here that it could be a ruptured air sac and I may need to relief her. Which I did by disinfecting that area and piercing her skin till the air went out. But it fills up instantly and seems like there is no difference. She seems fine and eats and drinks and poops normally. Should I be worried ? What can I do to help her?

Thank you all in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_095201.jpg
    IMG_20230506_095201.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230506_095254.jpg
    IMG_20230506_095254.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 8
You can try to deflate it again and press on the needle sight with a clean finger or gauze pad, and try to keep it from re-inflating. A dab of vaseline or plain Neosporin ointment on the gaze may help seal it until it heals over. Usually it can be left alone or ignored if it doesn’t keep getting bigger, or if the chick is not having respiratory distress. The chick I deflated had a huge leaking air sac, and it recurred a couple of times, but then it stayed down. She did well afterward, although she seemed very weak right after.

You can try to deflate it again and press on the needle sight with a clean finger or gauze pad, and try to keep it from re-inflating. A dab of vaseline or plain Neosporin ointment on the gaze may help seal it until it heals over. Usually it can be left alone or ignored if it doesn’t keep getting bigger, or if the chick is not having respiratory distress. The chick I deflated had a huge leaking air sac, and it recurred a couple of times, but then it stayed down. She did well afterward, although she seemed very weak right after.
Thanks I will try this again tonight and keep you all in loop !

Back
Top Bottom